Mosti Mondiale First Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First250

Reaction score
20091001_173437_Pic_1_wine.jpg

My first Amarone! (MM Renaissance) Pitched yeast about an hour ago. Awesome aroma and smell. No 'bitter' taste as I expected, but I guess that comes later. Thanks to recent posts on this I will not rack at 1.04 but wait. I don't want to spill one drop of this via volcano or otherwise.

It has been about 16 months since I first happened on this website and started what has become a truly wonderful hobby. Thanks to George and all you fine folks who have furthered my interest and been so helpful. There is so much more to learn, and with each batch I become a bit more comfortable with the process and am willing to experiment a bit ( with fruit wines mostly) I made a lot of 1 GL batches of fruit wine last year to see if I liked each, and now wish I had begun with larger batches. 5-10 bottles don't last very long.

All the kits I have purchased have turned out really well. I am convinced that they will continue to get even better as they continue to age. Favorites so far is the MMBarolo, Castel de Papa, and Rio Grand Rojo. TheWEmerlotisalso very good. My wife loved the WE chardonnay. My apple/peach wine is also a hit with her. My son loves it all.

Here are a few pics of my 12x12 basement room 'Brandywine Cellar' named after my street)where I spenda lot of my spare time now.From left to right you can see how my wine rack making has progressed. Not pretty, but functional. The last one is the 144 bottle rackthat I made from picsI foundsomewhere on the web. Itis the one with the GL carboys, etc on top, against the far wall below. Working hard to fill it up! Had to remove my flooring after the big Georgia flood you may have seen last week in the news. Fortunately, my shop vac and I were able to evenually contain what came in , but not until my new floor was ruined. It willremain unfinishedhenceforth.

20091001_174600_Pic_2_wine.jpg

20091001_175223_Pic_3_wine.jpg

Again, thank you to everyone for contributing to this great website and to the enjoymentofsomany people. So many wines and so little time indeed!

nice set up...glad you made it thru the flood..you *might* try staining the concrete to get a finished look instead ...

Thanks, I am considering it. I used a reactive stain in the remainder of the basement that turned out well.

That is a potato masher minus the cheap plastic handle that broke off.
The copper things hangingare surpluskitchen decorations , now winery decorations.

Very nice, let me know how your MMR is doing, I'm doing probably the same kit in day 3 now. Just a side note, Wade cracks me up, spotting that tool on the wall! Ha!

Did it come with raisins? Or, did you add any?

Thought so just checking..
Better safe than sorry

Made the first rack two nights ago. SSG was 1.014 instead of 1.04 per the instructions. Avoided the wine volcano I read about here earlier.
Got a swollen raisin stuck in the primary spigot about 80% throughthe rack. Couldn't unstop it so I poured the remainder through a metal strainer in a large funnel. That worked out better than I thought it might! You may want to cover the spigot intake with some sort of strainer if you rack yours this way.

I inherited the large food grade funnel ( next to my potato masher in the pic). It really comes in handy.

Good idea. Next time I'll do that! The raisins would be easier to squeeze into the secondary , too.

Cellar craft kits with the Grape Packs all come with a nice cheese cloth bag not sure why MM kits don't. And your right, it makes it super easy to squeeze the guts out of those little guys.

Thanks, Runningwolf. Do you mind sharing your recipe for mango citrus, or is it a kit?

Latest posts

Back