Primary Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumptia

Reaction score
I am still using the primary bucket that I received when i got my starter kit.

I've about 10-12 kits through it now.

It sure smells like I make wine in it and it hasn't seemed to make any difference in the tastes of my batches but something tells me its time to change out the old for a new.

I suppose I could just change it anyway or maybe the bucket flavors help with each subsequent batch.

I'm over thinking this I know, but i figured I'd ask anyway. Never know when a cool tip is about...

Thanks

I have not counted and I have two 7.9 gallon fermenters and they are still working fine. I make sure to do the following:

1. Wash them out with soap (I use Dawn dishwashing liquid) immediately after emptying them.
2. Rinse with hot water, rinse and rinse some more.
3. Dry the fermenter inside and outside with a towel.
4. Allow the fermenter to air dry for a few hours to be sure all moisture is gone.
5. Lay the top loosely on the fermenter and put it on a shelf.
6. Before using again, I rinse with hot water and pour about a cup of sanitizing liquid (3T K-meta to 1 Gallon of water) in the bottom, cover it and allow the sanitizer to work for a few hours.

Now I have read, though I have not experienced it, that occasionally the bottom of the fermenters will separate from the side. I cursory inspection to see if a fracture is occurring could avoid this. My larger fermenters are Brute containers (2 each 20 gallons and one 30 gallons). I treat them the same way.

Anybody ever wonder if the plastic buckets are made with BPA? Perhaps pinged a retailer?

It may be that the hype on BPA is overblown, but I'm just curious.

I asked the folks at Midwest Supplies. They are supposedly going to get back to me once they get an answer from the manufacturer.

I literally do the same thing as what rocky said. I have 2 buckets with multiple batches through each. I still get a little residual smell but never had a problem or noticed any off flavors. The only thing I worry about is scratches inside on the bottom. I have some scratches in both buckets but they aren't deep at all just minor surface scratches. I seen a thread on here not to long ago where someone brought the scratches up which is what got me worried but as long as you practice good sanitization before and after use I don't think you'll have trouble.

I have to admit, I am not as fastidious as Rocky and I should be. If I can;t wash them with soap immediately after using (rare) I have rinsed them out good. I then go back and clean good with Oxiclean.

I pour about a quarter cup of kmeta solution in them, snap the top down and cover the airlock hole with tape. The Kmeta seems to stay in it.

What do you think of that routine.

A piping hot rinse with tap water is what I give mine (two or three times) after use. I store with the lid off or on loosely. A day or two before I start a batch, I put about a cup of Meta in there and put the lid and airlock on.

Most times I do pretty much like everybody else. But if I am planning on making a skeeter pee with the lees I just dump the ingredients in the old primary. Usually takes off and starts fermenting within a couple of hours. Start off with live, hungry yeast and they really go to town. Arne.

I'm with Jim. hot, hot water rinseout. NO SOAPS.. Sanitize prior to next use. Plastic is porous so there can be residual odors. Would have to get in to the chemistry to find out if this particular formula is susceptible to deterioration over time, eg. drying out/powdering, hardening/cracking etal. Many have used them many times without incident. Set your own limits,,,, you'll feel better;)

There was a used kit I got from a beer maker (I bought it for the carboys). The pail smelled of beer, and I tried lots of stuff to get the smell out. I eventually sold it to a beer maker.

I rinse my primary well after each fermentation, and rinse/sanitize before each use. Every 3 batches, or so, I clean with PBW, or other carboy cleaner, to remove the stains. After about 20 matches, it doesn't have a smell.

Ok good to know I'm on the right track anyway.

I clean and rinse mine after each use and sanitize it with Na meta before I put a batch down.

I'll give the bottom a good going over as soon as my latest batch gets its first rack.

Thanks for the input.

I use hot water and OxyClean with a soft wash cloth and then rinse thoroughly with a sprayer. I have run almost 40 batches through mine and no smell. Of course, I also sanitize...

Latest posts

Back