Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start 'em young, bring 'em up right I always say. Let the kids respect the product and the process.

I swear, pick a tree in my area and shake it. Odds are a deer would fall out. I spotted this doe and fawn from the road and snuck to about 60 yards away. So just on the outer limits of bow range. Odds are I could have gotten into 40 yards but I wasn't willing to crawl though the wet field armed with only a cell phone camera. October first can't come soon enough, it's buck or bust for me this year. No more settling for a big doe.

dupy7upu.jpg

There is a set of twins running around here too, I'll see if I can dig up the pics

Playful little guys.

I was also happy to see some long beards today. I've seen plenty of hens cursing the farm but not a single Tom since I filled my tags in the spring. Might have to buy a fall tag incase we cross paths during deer season.

Great trail cam pictures. Is the tobacco for cigars or cigarettes? Where does it end up getting processed? It looks really beautiful. Which animals are the biggest problem with eating it. Do you have moose or elk in your area? I know so many questions but you;re probably the only tobacco farmer on the forum.

Ya caught me. I'm one of only a handful of tobacco growers left in Canada. All the tobacco we grow ends up in ciggarettes. We sell it to a middle man company and they sell it to all the Canadian tobacco companies as well as exporting it to the states and around the world. As far as problem animal s go we really don't have any. Every once in a blue moon a deer will tear though a field at full speed and knock some leaves/plants down but it's pretty minor. On second though that's a lie. The biggest pain in my side is the tobacco worm. Also called the tomato worm. They can chew through a field in no time if left unchecked. They are easily controlled with a couple applications of pesticide. There is also a aphid now that has crossed over from potatoes and completely shuts the tobacco plant down. It caught us with our pants down last year but it seems to be controlled this year.

No moose or elk in my immediate area but I do hunt for bullwinkel a couple hours north. Elk are also making a comeback up north too. They just opened up a hunting season for them a couple years ago.

If you have any more questions feel free, I'll try my best to answer them.

Great trail cam pictures. Is the tobacco for cigars or cigarettes? Where does it end up getting processed? It looks really beautiful. Which animals are the biggest problem with eating it. Do you have moose or elk in your area? I know so many questions but you;re probably the only tobacco farmer on the forum.

I grew up I. Kentucky in a tobacco farming family. A lit of farmers here have switched crops in the last few years.

And uuughhh! Tobacco worms! As a child I loved playing with them. I called them "Toby's" or unicorn worms because of their horn.

Last night, my niece came to dinner and took a couple of pictures...

The first one was a selfie of her doing a little "Quality Control" on our 2013 Riesling. The second one is a bottle of our 2012 cabernet.

IMG_20140810_173436774.jpg

IMG952014081095173648324.jpg

Back