Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So terribly sad.

Granted, they aren't right next to any structure, but I'm trying to get my head around how the umbrellas survived.
Wind driven fires like the one that wiped out Lahaina and even the Cerro Grande fire that wiped out (a nice chunk) of Los Alamos and 235 homes back in May 2000 are known to do that. Wipe out everything in its path but every now and then it will leave a structure basically untouched. I remember people whose homes survived had mixed feelings if you can believe that about their fortune. At first they were ecstatic they still had their belongings but then over time as all of their neighbors began to rebuild and get new houses they were a little sad about having the only 50 year old government built home still to live in.

If I had to guess those umbrellas survived because they were out close to that pretty wide street which is a fire break. The winds were blowing parallel with the direction of that street. The umbrellas were also folded down, reducing the footprint, they look to be pretty new since the place was just remodeled/built a year or two ago so they were also more than likely treated with a flame retardant of some sort. You will also notice that there are three palm trees that look to be in pretty good shape right next to the umbrellas so more than likely a lucky fire break saved things on that portion of the street.

Last night I had a few stoppers, airlocks, and vented bungs that needed cleaning. Just for the heckuvit I took everything in the drawer (all items not in use) and dropped them in a bucket of Oxyclean & hot water. Let 'em soak for 30 minutes, then rinsed twice and then dunked 'em in a bucket of clean water.

Everything not currently in use is ready for the fall grapes!

airlocks.jpg

Last night I had a few stoppers, airlocks, and vented bungs that needed cleaning. Just for the heckuvit I took everything in the drawer (all items not in use) and dropped them in a bucket of Oxyclean & hot water. Let 'em soak for 30 minutes, then rinsed twice and then dunked 'em in a bucket of clean water.

View attachment 104626
Bryan, I note that you seem to have a preponderance of three piece airlocks. Do you not use the S-type airlock? What is the reason for your preference? If I knew how to do it, I would like to post a survey on WMT and see what the group uses. Just wondering.

I see the main advantage of the 3 piece is ease of cleaning. OTH, evaporation is at a faster rate than the S type.

Bryan, I note that you seem to have a preponderance of three piece airlocks. Do you not use the S-type airlock? What is the reason for your preference? If I knew how to do it, I would like to post a survey on WMT and see what the group uses. Just wondering.

I see the main advantage of the 3 piece is ease of cleaning. OTH, evaporation is at a faster rate than the S type.
In the distant past, I used both 3-piece and S-type airlocks. In my early years I sometimes overfilled carboys and/or had too much activity in the carboy, so the wine overflowed into the airlock. I couldn't figure out how to clean the S-type, so I eliminated them.

The 3-piece are easy to clean with a cotton swab, and easy to rinse after a soaking.

While 3-piece evaporate faster, we should check airlocks weekly. I check the vented bungs as well -- it's a good idea to keep an eye on things, and practice restraint in not messing with wine when it doesn't need it.

Which type of airlock to use is divided. There are good reasons to use either.

View attachment 104626
Wine bottle stoppers? I have never seen them for sale.
1692396740770.png

Latest posts

Back