Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4F272589-B104-4765-9881-56B1C27E4C75.jpeg
This is a picture of last year at around this day. Normally I fly around as bush pilot in Africa flying around tourists through my safari company there. The southern part of Africa is closed off completely due to the corona pandemic, so I have not been in Africa since March this year. The picture is taken in Namibia. No wineries in Namibia, but lots of them around Cape Town and Stellenbosch in South Africa.

At exactly 11:11 a.m. every Veterans Day (Nov 11), the sun aligns perfectly with the Anthem Veterans Memorial in Arizona to shine through the ellipses of the five marbled pillars representing each branch of the Armed Forces, illuminating the Great Seal of the United States.

1605145125435.png

At exactly 11:11 a.m. every Veterans Day (Nov 11), the sun aligns perfectly with the Anthem Veterans Memorial in Arizona to shine through the ellipses of the five marbled pillars representing each branch of the Armed Forces, illuminating the Great Seal of the United States.

I had never heard of that memorial. Wow.

View attachment 68155
I've heard of that place, but never knew the info you shared, that's awesome,,
Dawg

View attachment 68155

Five pillars for the five services? When was memorial erected? Veterans Day originated 1926 as Armistice Day and later renamed Veterans Day (1947). Air Force became a military branch Sep 1947.

Five pillars for the five services? When was memorial erected?

From the source of all knowledge (TM):
The Anthem Veterans Memorial is a monument located in Anthem, Arizona which was dedicated in 2011 to honor the sacrifice and service made by members of the United States Armed Forces.

The memorial's five white pillars represent the nation's military branches and are arranged in Department of Defense order of precedence: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each pillar has an elliptical opening that slants downward toward The Great Seal of the United States. On Veterans Day – November 11 – the design allows the sun's rays to spotlight the Great Seal at 11:11 AM Mountain Standard Time. The design goal was 11:11:11 AM, but the variations each year cause the precise alignment over the next 100 years to be between 11:10:58 and 11:11:22.[1]

I was able to get my Grandma's recipe for marinara sauce from a cousin. She and my Grandpa were Italian immigrants, so this comes right from the old country via Ellis Island. I made the sauce and then made a lasagna from it using the same ingredients she and my Mom used. The first bite brought tears to my eyes. It tasted so like her cooking and like my Mom's cooking, too, that a flood of memories overcame me. It took two jars to make the lasagnas. A couple jars went into the freezer for future use, as did a couple large slices of the lasagna.

marinara.jpg

lasagna 1.jpg

I was able to get my Grandma's recipe for marinara sauce from a cousin. She and my Grandpa were Italian immigrants, so this comes right from the old country via Ellis Island. I made the sauce and then made a lasagna from it using the same ingredients she and my Mom used. The first bite brought tears to my eyes. It tasted so like her cooking and like my Mom's cooking, too, that a flood of memories overcame me. It took two jars to make the lasagnas. A couple jars went into the freezer for future use, as did a couple large slices of the lasagna.

View attachment 68184

View attachment 68185
Are you willing to share the recipe????

@jswordy One Great Big Ole Fat "LIKE"!!! for all three of your last posts, Beautiful, Neat and YUM!
Big like to your post Mike! I love this site in that people comment in such positive ways to recognize the efforts that we make to post what we care about. I've been on sites that tear apart what others post for personal satisfaction. Thank you for being here and caring about others with your positive comments.

No, I haven't been drinking too much, LOL.

Here’s an image taken at the Bucking Horse Sale in Miles City, Montana. When I took this photo, I was fortunate enough to be allowed into the ring. It got hairy a couple times because when you are looking though your camera space is reduced. At times the action was only a couple feet away.

IMG_0016.JPG

Back