Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two new pics to add, sunset last night was one of those where I was catching up on the Masters on TV and hear Lori saying you better grab your camera and look out at the deck. It looked nice but I realized the it was really red out front and saw this when I made it out there. It probably faded away in less than 90 seconds.
11-12SunsetSmall.jpg

Later that night or this morn actually I was trying to catch some meteors and testing different settings. This is also from the driveway but looking across the street. The image is 15 stacked 20 sec shots with the meteors actually appearing 4 frames apart but blended together. Need to keep working on these astro pics, would like to end up eventually with some of those really colorful wispy milky way pictures at some point.PapagoLane11-13-2020Small.jpg

That's cool on so many levels, mainly, for me, the battle in front looks like a one time major struggle/battle/event and then I noticed the same playing out in the background and get the feeling it's happening throughout the entire rodeo grounds. Awesome chaos... and dust.... and light.....and movement!
Let me explain a bit in detail what’s going on. Yes, there are twelve teams trying to wrangle twelve never-been-ridden broncos. The one holding the line closest to the animal is trying to mount the horse. Once mounted, he has to race the horse around the track once before everyone else and is named the winner. Since the horse has never been ridden one can imagin how that goes. It’s a riot to watch! It happens twice during the sale. Once at approximately noon and once a 6pm. The lighting was perfect at 6pm on that day in May.

Last edited:
Whipped up 14 pint jars of chili for the freezer. I makes it so easy for quick meals. One pint = one bowl. Thaw and microwave. Mmmm. The pic is from the beginning of the cook. I just bought a few more unneeded containers of my secret New Mexican chili powder from my supplier because he's closing up due to COVID. That really SUX! Might have to reach out to @ibglowin Mike for new sources! :)

IMG_1872.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still miss those days as I enjoy developing prints (and negatives). Still have a couple of 35s and a Mamiya 645 medium format that I can't seem to part with. The house is full of digital cameras and I know the power of manipulating anything digitized, but I still dream of smelling those chemicals and tweaking an enlarger to work magic.

I still miss those days as I enjoy developing prints (and negatives). Still have a couple of 35s and a Mamiya 645 medium format that I can't seem to part with. The house is full of digital cameras and I know the power of manipulating anything digitized, but I still dream of smelling those chemicals and tweaking an enlarger to work magic.

I never worked in a lab but oversaw product photo shoots and got close with a couple of photographers and the studio/labs they worked from. Spent many hours in darkrooms watching the process, giving directions and watching the manual magic they could do while making prints. Filters, dodging, burning, different exposures. All in all pretty amazing and much more artful than what we can more easily and quickly achieve in Photoshop now.

I guess I could have posted this in "what are you doing today" but it's photo related so here it sits. Lori's been wanting something to fill in a very large blank living room wall for a while. This is similar to a photo I posted here a while back of the Verde Valley taken from up on the mogollon rim. I went up and retook it as a very hi def and large panorama than we had them printed on brushed aluminum plates. Overall width is a touch over 10.5' and 4' tall in the center. The panels came flat (no frames or hangers) so I bought aluminum mirror mounting channel and cut to length, attached to the wall and just slid the pictures in.

VerdePanels.jpg

I still have my Canon F-1 & A-1 (with many attachments). I can't seem to let them go. I took a Photo Journalism class in college and became hooked.
Can you even buy film anymore?

You can buy B&W film from some camera stores. Mostly its 400 ASA, but I have seen some color film as well. I was told some photo classes still require use of the B&W film to get students away from color and learn to use the B&W to develop a sense of composition. I still have an old Argus C3 (first camera) and a Olympus OM1 (fits my telescope), plus the Mamiya 645 1000s. I also have a Polaroid Swinger too! Can't get film for it, but I have seen a resurgence of the 'instant picture' craze as some of the camera stores I get dragged into. My wife is the photographer these days and I stay out of her way (house ain't big enough for too, I guess). I have a Coolpix and/or Ipod that I take pics in the vineyard with to document stuff with, but that's it. My wife takes pics like the one below, and would be tough to compete with.

IMG_E1941.JPG

Last edited:
I spent many an evening in the dark room when I was in college (76-80) as well as for another 5 years after I got hitched. I started out with Cibachrome (making archival prints from slides) and then went backwards to prints from negatives. I even went as far as to order chemicals and make up my own (color) developer etc. Prints from negatives were MUCH cheaper than Cibachrome prints!

I had one of the first Olympus OM-1's and shot many a roll on that. Then I desperately wanted a Mamiya 645 but it was out of my budget (still in school) but I was able to find the next best thing and that was a brand spanking new Yashica Mat 124G (large format). I got into wedding photography for a number of years but got out of the business as time dwindled when the kids came along.

Still have all my cameras but sold the darkroom stuff long ago......

Fun to look back on those Cibachrome prints that are now 40 plus years old. They look exactly the same as the day I printed them.

I had a couple of Yashicas, one used 127 roll film and the other was 35. Don't remember the models as this was in the late 60s/early 70s. The 645 came around 1980. A friend and mentor told me if he was starting out today, that would have been the camera system he chose (vs the several Hasselblads he had). He also owned and used for a number of years Kodak camera #3. Wood and brass frame with leather bellows. It went to the museum when he passed. When he did portraits, he would make notes about the hues of color on the subject, then process the prints on a warm tone paper, then hand color the hues into certain parts of the finished print. Looked better than most color portraits today. He was a true artist.

What an Artsy group we have here, another meteor shower peaked last night, though pretty much a dud here. Getting a better system down but this is the best I could come up overnight. Another chance in Decemberrrrrrrr. For the life of me I can't figure out how to go from a 86" wide Raw file and make it into a 5" wide JPG and hold the sharpness of the original. Definitely not the same as film reductions.... hey Seri.....

LeonidsMeteor11-17-20.jpg

Latest posts

Back