Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I suppose it had to happen. I was dicing onions for dinner today. As I said above, the new knife just glides through food! Unfortunately, it just glides through whatever it encounters.

Yes, I sliced off a mm or two of the tip of my thumb and thumbnail. I barely even felt it! Very clean cut. It is, thankfully, not a serious wound, but it will take a while to heal (since it is not just a slice). Yikes, that thing is scary sharp.

View attachment 45409
Unlike the german knives, I guess they demand respect right out of the gate. Glad it wasn't a more serious wound.
Mike

Past few days or so I've been taking puppy hikes around the area where Craig (aka @ceeaton) has his cabin. Believe, in the second photo, Craig's cabin is the one on the right...
Bill, thanks for the photos. Yes, our cabin is on the right with the Isle of Man sign on it. I'm amazed the water is at a "normal" height. Usually by this time of the year, ice is covering the whole creek since the flow is reduced. Thanks for sharing!

I see you did the Barbour Rock trail and the rails to trails hikes. That's a lot of hiking for one day!

If you are down there a lot, I should probably just give you a set of keys. That way you can get some water for the "puppy" and a beverage for you (mind you, during the warmer months. No water or beverages up there now, except maybe some whiskey in one of the cabinets).

Last edited:
First snow today. The thought of getting out the tractor to plow has me thinking of November in Belize this is dawn from the terrace of the condo we rented and to think the neighbors spend all winter there.....302E015B-D91F-47F5-84F6-F038E4BAAE60.jpeg

Well, I suppose it had to happen. I was dicing onions for dinner today. As I said above, the new knife just glides through food! Unfortunately, it just glides through whatever it encounters.

Yes, I sliced off a mm or two of the tip of my thumb and thumbnail. I barely even felt it! Very clean cut. It is, thankfully, not a serious wound, but it will take a while to heal (since it is not just a slice). Yikes, that thing is scary sharp.

I have always been told, when slicing and dicing, always look at your fingers and not the food.

Ya know this is a post a photo thread. Where's the photo of your sliced finger? How do we know this really happened? ;)

Joking aside... Did you have to make a trip to the emergency room? Are any of your activities curtailed until it heals some?

Bill, thanks for the photos. Yes, our cabin is on the right with the Isle of Man sign on it. I'm amazed the water is at a "normal" height. Usually by this time of the year, ice is covering the whole creek since the flow is reduced. Thanks for sharing!

I see you did the Barbour Rock trail and the rails to trails hikes. That's a lot of hiking for one day!

If you are down there a lot, I should probably just give you a set of keys. That way you can get some water for the "puppy" and a beverage for you (mind you, during the warmer months. No water or beverages up there now, except maybe some whiskey in one of the cabinets).

I noticed this time out that just North of your place the canyon rim is higher and jutted with some type of red craggy rock formations. Man, did any of that stuff ever break loose and close your road? [I should have snapped and posted a picture so others could appreciate what I'm talking about.]

Joking aside... Did you have to make a trip to the emergency room? Are any of your activities curtailed until it heals some?

Thanks for asking. No ER visit needed. It really wasn't too bad. Just a little trim! :) The "open spot" at the end of my thumb where it was bloody is maybe 1/4" diameter, maybe a bit less even. I just put a bandaid on it. No curtailment of activities, but it is a pain to try to keep the bandaid dry.

And the problem is....?

wine_glasses.png

That's awesome. My guess is your Dad has an aptitude for picking up new languages. I never learned the language but did pick up a few phrases that were a big help in getting around off base.

He was Japan's version of Sgt. Bilko! :b His schtick was to buy up supplies at the PX like nylon stockings, makeup, soaps, etc., and then run them out to the smaller islands where the rich lived and were short on such luxuries. Women there would snap them up. Got to be so popular he was paying the PX guy to divert some stuff and set it aside for him. He said he was in demand among the rich women, without further elaboration. LOL. There is nothing like profit to make a man learn a language. :h He said when he shipped back, he left so much scrip behind on the island, it was unbelievable. They would only let them convert so much of it at a time to US currency. Try as he might, he could not get that whole job done.

I set the trail cam up for a week in this funnel area near my back pasture. I left the sedge grass grow there this year and I knew there would be deer. But I did not realize how much of a deer interstate highway it was! Got 44 shots, the ones with deer were mostly of does. Two bucks showed. I never see bucks in daylight, only does, so was glad to see them. Here are the best. It is now set up in a different area, and I'll check again Saturday.

25348569_10213196313636325_1896910896294370327_n.jpg 25352251_10213196310836255_135972850564160952_o.jpg 25398669_10213196312516297_6224699102658451340_n.jpg 25438609_10213196315236365_3012537004836701722_o.jpg 25358215_10213196310516247_7262699789502552272_o.jpg

I set the trail cam up for a week in this funnel area near my back pasture. I left the sedge grass grow there this year and I knew there would be deer. But I did not realize how much of a deer interstate highway it was! Got 44 shots, the ones with deer were mostly of does. Two bucks showed. I never see bucks in daylight, only does, so was glad to see them. Here are the best. It is now set up in a different area, and I'll check again Saturday.

I think one of my Christmas presents this year will be a trail/game camera. I hope to be sharing game photos with you soon.

I noticed this time out that just North of your place the canyon rim is higher and jutted with some type of red craggy rock formations. Man, did any of that stuff ever break loose and close your road? [I should have snapped and posted a picture so others could appreciate what I'm talking about.]
Yes. Take notice to the large rock just upstream from the foot bridge in your image. Before the bridge or cabins were there, but relatives that passed long ago would never venture down there because of that. Are these the rocks you are talking about? I could leave this earth in a worse way...at least i know I'd be happy at the time.
12-20-17_rocks.jpg

Yes. Take notice to the large rock just under the foot bridge in your image. Before the bridge or cabins were there, but relatives that passed long ago would never venture down there because of that. Are these the rocks you are talking about? I could leave this earth in a worse way...at least i know I'd be happy at the time.

I believe they might be the same rocks but in the lighting I had the other morning they looked reddish brown.

Are you a Manx? Or is it a play on something like "Man Cave"?
Yes, but only a small portion, I think maybe one sixteenth at most, more likely less. Notice the image on opposite ends of the sign in Bill's image. The image from the Isle of Man flag was incorporated into the sign by I think one of my great aunts.
Edit: added an image with a better view of the sign.
12-20-17_IOM.jpg
12-20-17_cottage-sign.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I recognized the triskelion right away!

My favorite form of chicken is a leg/thigh quarter, which I usually bake in a cast-iron frying pan. A friend used to live with us, and my biggest cast-iron pan (10") is just big enough to fit 3 leg/thigh quarters, but only if they are all the "same leg" (i.e., the chickens' left leg or their right leg). The legs would then nicely fit into the pan the way they do in a triskelion (or Isle of Man or Sicilian flag). When I bought the quarters, I would always have to specify to the confused young counter attendant that I needed 3 of the same legs. "Huh!?"

Yeah, I recognized the triskelion right away!

My favorite form of chicken is a leg/thigh quarter, which I usually bake in a cast-iron frying pan. A friend used to live with us, and my biggest cast-iron pan (10") is just big enough to fit 3 leg/thigh quarters, but only if they are all the "same leg" (i.e., the chickens' left leg or their right leg). The legs would then nicely fit into the pan the way they do in a triskelion (or Isle of Man or Sicilian flag). When I bought the quarters, I would always have to specify to the confused young counter attendant that I needed 3 of the same legs. "Huh!?"
That chicken story is a hoot for sure! I knew you'd have the descriptive word on the tip of your tongue. I'll admit I haven't heard that term from any of my relatives, so it will be a good trivia question I can pose when we are opening the place up next Spring, unless my older brother sees this post (guess I'll bet no money they can't come up with the term, I'll offer a chugged beer in place of the money, so it is a win-win situation for me).

Also never realized it was on the Sicilian flag, guess I'll have to look that one up.

It must be an island thing! A friend had the Sicilian version tattooed on the small of her back, just 'cause she liked Sicily. I don't get to see that tattoo often enough! :) ( <--- edited to clarify: she is an attractive woman, and the only time I see that tattoo is when she wears a bikini!)

Sicily
510px-Sicilian_Flag.svg.png

Isle of Man
1200px-Flag_of_the_Isle_of_Mann.svg.png

Last edited:
I'm having fun with this trail cam. More deer in a new location. I've got one more spot to set it up for deer, then I will go after small game.HUNT04.JPG HUNT05.JPG HUNT06.JPG HUNT012.JPG

Back