Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cabela's had a $79.95 trail camera on sale for $24.99 on Cyber Monday, so I got one. Testing it out in backyard to make sure it worked. I now have it set up on the back of the place. Hope to see a big buck when I next check it. I'll keep ya posted. 24900062_10213137568287728_453986340232253030_n.jpg 24910007_10213137572647837_2643666154343908294_n.jpg 25152280_10213137568687738_1089754698211147313_n.jpg

Forgot to post these last week. While out for lunch on Friday we had a bonafide "movie star" sighting I spose......... Was in a little shop looking at some spices and heard the unmistakeable voice of Nathan Fillion from "Castle" fame recently and Firefly (SciFi fame). Did not bother him for autograph or selfie. Not my style. Still kinda cool run in....

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

This is the Santa Fe River as it passes through O'leno State Park south of Lake City Florida. The strange thing about this is that the river drops out of site into the ground just a few hundred feet from there. It re-emerges over three miles south into a big pool and then flows into the Suwannee River

125299251_1785645978120680_9188586432839871464_n.jpg

Did not bother him for autograph or selfie. Not my style. Still kinda cool run in....

Indulge me here folks....

I have this shirt that my wife gave me. It is a polo shirt with the NASA meatball on it. It also had "Goddard flight Institute " written on it. This is a Maryland NASA think tank.

I once wore this shirt on a plane only to have the flight attendant point to it and say "Do you work for NASA?".

Well, I did not want to lie, but I did not want to tell the truth either. So, I did the next best thing. I looked her straight in the eye and said "I'm sorry Ma'am, but I just can't talk about it.". She nodded and, in a very shy fashion, offered me a free drink.

With this experience in mind, here comes my brush with fame. Once, when I was down in Tampa, I was at a Titanic museum exhibit. I was looking at a video demonstration, when I felt a tug on my sleeve.

I looked down to see this little old lady who was pointing at my shirt.

"Do you work for NASA?" she asked.

Learning from past experience, and thinking that I would be giving "Edna" something to talk about when playing canasta with the girls back at the condo, I gave my now standard response of "I'm sorry Ma'am, I just can't talk about it".

Then she did something rather unexpected. She looked me in the eye, nodded and said.. "I more than understand. My Husband has worked for NASA for years.". She then pulled her husband over.

It was Buzz Aldrin.

Buzz had a rather annoyed look on his face, almost as if to say to his wife "How many times must I tell you to NOT POINT ME OUT IN PUBLIC????".

I am happy to say that, although star struck" I did the respectable and polite thing. I leaned into Buzz, and said very quietly "I am a true admirer of your work. Enjoy the exhibit.". I then simply walked away and let him be.

At the end of the exhibit, I was leaning against a wall waiting for the Mrs to come out of the bathroom. I looked to my left only to see Buzz doing the same thing.

This time he leaned into me and said "how about I sign that shirt". Stunned, I said "sure". I borrowed a black sharpie and he put a big autograph across the back. It is not one of my prized possessions.

Respect and class is a two way street I guess.

I would not let my cat out when there are opossums around. Better get it inside!

We have 7 yard cats, all feral. I have not seen a possum around since they showed up.

We got none of that snow y'all did in Birmingham. Dammit. I would have liked to have a snow day! :D Beautiful pic.

25348354_1779439395420452_5016140108454488091_n.jpg

Here's my Dad (left) and my Uncle Phil at a party for their 90th birthdays. Uncle Phil's is 12/10 and Dad's is 12/11. They've been friends since high school. They enlisted in the Army together in WW II, and if I recall correctly were both on the same troop transport ship en route to Japan, probably to be part of a conventional assault that would have been bad and may have killed them both. Midway, they learned of the A-bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They landed as occupying troops. They married sisters. Both retired from International Harvester, Inc. I have many youthful memories of these two working together, to add on to a house or work on expanding or building garages or other projects. Two of the Greatest Generation. Long may they run!

They both look great for 90!

View attachment 45313

Here's my Dad (left) and my Uncle Phil at a party for their 90th birthdays. Uncle Phil's is 12/10 and Dad's is 12/11. They've been friends since high school. They enlisted in the Army together in WW II, and if I recall correctly were both on the same troop transport ship en route to Japan, probably to be part of a conventional assault that would have been bad and may have killed them both. Midway, they learned of the A-bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They landed as occupying troops. They married sisters. Both retired from International Harvester, Inc. I have many youthful memories of these two working together, to add on to a house or work on expanding or building garages or other projects. Two of the Greatest Generation. Long may they run!

Heck, they'd look pretty good for 70!

[I was twice stationed in Japan (Atsugi & Iwakuni), What an adventure that was for a young Marine!]

I bet you met a couple young Japanese girls Bill... [emoji4]

I bet you met a couple young Japanese girls Bill... [emoji4]

Yes, at Iwakuni my second Japanese duty station which was after our outfit (VMFA-542) left Vietnam to disband and then reform. Atsugi Japan and Okinawa was all about getting ready to deploy to Vietnam. I did manage to get to Tokyo for a day and a night while at Atsugi.

721a2a32.jpg

http://www.mcasiwakuni.marines.mil/

My new knife came in!

A few years ago (~5 years), I switched from German knives to thinnner, sharper, Japanese knives. At that time, I bought Shun Classic knives, which are relatively well-regarded, but ~entry-level, Japanese knives. I just treated myself to a new chef's knife, which is even way thinner than the Shun. The aficionados of Japanese knives call this very thin style of knife "lasers." I took my first test drive this evening. Man, this thing just glides through food. You can almost not tell when you hit the food, as there is almost no resistance! So far, I like it!
One of the pix below shows the spines of three knives, for comparison: German, Shun Classic, and the new Takamura.

DSCN0807.jpg DSCN0803.jpg

View attachment 45313

I never would have guessed they were 90!

Back