Port Contest Interest Test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
I thought I would post this in the port wine/recipe section to better attract the interest of port makers/drinker.

Who would be interested in participating in a friendly port wine conest similar to the other Unofficial WMT contests we have had. I know this would only appeal to a certain...shall we say..."caliber" of wine maker.

I am proposing the following:
1) port or port style wines of any kind
2) should already be bottled (any year, any time) because of the time constraints of making port wines
3) we need a good judge, hopefully someone who likes port wines, and does not want to enter or cannot enter this contest

Suggestions please...:hug

Last edited:
I'd be interested. I'm about to bottle a blueberry port I started from fresh fruit last summer. :dg

No need to rule out younger wines, though most probably aren't worth entering. Yet.

Love port! Thats my kind of drink,I don't have any to enter but offering my palate. would go good with a new cigar:sm

I would love to enter this contest! Unfortunately I have nothing aged. I tried a fresh home grown raspberry port style this spring, but it is still too hot to handle. Might actually have some fresh raspberries coming up soon to back sweeten it so, yes, I would be game for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

All of my port wines go way to fast! :dgI'm lucky if it reaches the 1 year mark! Although I did save a bottle of CC regular port in the basement. Just for the record, does this include the kits? I was thinking of putting a blackberry port together this summer, cuz I noticed I'm going to have an abundance of blackberry this year!:h

Yes, peaches, this would include kits, home made ports, and port style wines of any kind. But unless we're willing to wait a year or two...or four...to judge this contest, we'll have to go (for now) with those who have port already bottled.

This would be a good one for a annual competition, I think. So, anyone who doesn't have a port to enter now, get one going for next year...or the next...etc...

And Windshield King, my good man! With the utmost respect to you and your palate (I mean that!), I'd like to give the position of port judge to one of our more long-standing members who regularly contributes to the forum. I hope you are courteous enough to understand.

Interested. I believe kit wines should be in a separate class then those ports crafted from scratch. Nothing against kits as I've made many ports from them and plan on doing more but it's pretty hard to screw up a kit wine. I can't paint worth a darn but I can do a pretty good job with a paint by numbers kit.

Dan that was my reason for asking. Haven't even started a port from scratch as of yet. But I am going to try one this summer and if I can possibly get feedback and some info what I could do to make it better well then I will enter it and maybe just maybe with the help from the fine people on this forum it will be a treat:dg

Dan makes a good point. I was trying to keep interest numbers up by including all kinds of ports. So far, I see four or five interested who actually already have a port made and bottled.

Do we need to have a longer time frame? I have one home made port bottled, and while it could use more aging time, I'm still willing to pit it against others just for the constructive feedback. I guess we could do this with two catagories, home made and kit...no problem. This is a completely informal kind of contest.

While we mull this over---considering catagories and timeframe---who can we get to be our judge? Does Wade like port? :rdo

I have a 2013 port...although still young and in the barrel. It's tasting pretty good! I'm interested.

Hey, Manley! How would you like to judge this year's contest?

Like I said, if we have interest, we can do this once a year. So, if you're reading this, and want to join in, but don't have a port wine...make one now! And enter in a year or two.

I'm on my second home made port wine, and hope to keep making them for future (years from now) enjoyment. I've just got to find a place to hide them, or I'll end up like peaches9324!

<peaches, can you please give me at least a first name to work with? Feels strange calling you "peaches">

Dave
What a great idea !! Count me in ! for either judging or for the competition,
:db:db:db

I really enjoy a good port !!!!

Hey, Manley! How would you like to judge this year's contest?

I'd be alright with that if there was a consensus; maybe we should set up a poll to pick a judge? Or maybe a home-made judge and a kit judge?

Just thoughts..

It would be great if the judge agreed to taste each wine and film the tasting and reaction and observations and posted it all on YouTube! :h

Manley For Judge!!!

I'd be alright with that if there was a consensus; maybe we should set up a poll to pick a judge? Or maybe a home-made judge and a kit judge?

Just thoughts..

These contests are really casual affairs around here. It's more for the opportunity to get some feedback on one's wine rather than battle for the top spot. Mine may not be the best, but I'd like to know how it stacks up.

As a condition of entry, the winner agrees to share how they made theirs, so everyone learns how to make better wine. A recent developement has called for the winners (1st & 2nd places) having the privilage of judging the next contest (i.e., next years port competition).

We just need a judge(s)---two, hopefully---to taste our ports :dgand line them up from best to worst. :try If there are no verbal protests, we'd like you to do it.

port contest

I can judge or be a contestant would also have a professional wine tasting judge who would work with us...........she also owns southwinds winery in Elmer NJ.............
offerings
2005 peach port
2007 blueberry port
2012 coffee port. Kit with tweaks
2013 caramel port .kit with tweaks

Latest posts

Back