Poison!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to try some Two Buck Chuck!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lawsuit-claims-high-levels-arsenic-found-some-california-made-wines/

Some very, very high levels of arsenic," Hicks said.

He tested more than 1,300 bottles of wine. Almost a quarter of them had levels higher than the EPA's maximum allowable amount of arsenic in drinking water: 10 parts per billion. No one can say for sure why, but Hicks noticed a pattern.

"The lower the price of wine on a per-liter basis, the higher the amount of arsenic," he said.

They included Trader Joe's famed Two-Buck Chuck White Zinfandel, which came in at three times the limit, a bottle of Ménage à Trois Moscato was four times the limit and a Franzia Blush had five times the EPA limit for drinking water.

Well, it's a law suit, they can claim anything they want. Also, it's "news" from a news site, their intent is to attract views.

My personal take:

Only the highest level found in ONE of the 1300 bottles tested was at 50 PPB. They then claim that drinking water at this level throughout your life would kill 1 in 100 because of the arsenic poisening.

Well, let me tell you something, if you drink 2 liters of wine per day (the EPA water intake amount) every single day of your life for your entire life, you will likely die of liver cihrrosis or cancer but it won't be because of the arsenic... :slp

Cmon people, have a bit of critical thinking! You shouldn't regulate based on exceptions.

I will conclude that anything is a poison, the important factor is the concentration (i.e., quantity).

Arsenic seems to be the poison on everyone's mind these days.. On Tuesday in the science section of the NY Times there was an answer to a question about the safety of brown vs white rice because of the amounts of arsenic found in rice and rice products and rice that is minimally processed contains the most amount of arsenic... so it would seem that grapes and rice both store arsenic from the soil ... but southern states apparently have more arsenic in their soil than California.. (the conclusion of the writer was that a balanced diet can include rice without any real problems but if you eat rice morning , noon and night, then you may want to avoid snacking on an extra rice cake )...

Was the higher levels in inexpensive wines due to shorter aging inexpensive get compared with more expensive wines? I would suspect that a metal like arsenic would tend to settle to the bottom and the wine would racked off of it.

Even with "very high levels of arsenic" I would still drink it over welches!

:dg

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back