Yeast Nutrients

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
@brianwattsturkeycalls_3_t Pretty old thread (started in 2013) with some more recent responses in the last few posts, but some of us are still around, feel free to ask if you have any questions.......

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to start my first batch of mead, so this thread has been helpful reading. I found a good calculator to determine the amount of nutrients to add according to a nutrient schedule.

Once I make a basic mead, I want to try a melomel. The fruit will probably contribute some YAN and other nutrients, but I don't have a way to measure that. For those who make melomels, do you just ignore the presence of the fruit and calculate the nutrient amounts as though the fruit was not present?

dmw_chef

Reaction score
I am about to start my first batch of mead, so this thread has been helpful reading. I found a good calculator to determine the amount of nutrients to add according to a nutrient schedule.

Once I make a basic mead, I want to try a melomel. The fruit will probably contribute some YAN and other nutrients, but I don't have a way to measure that. For those who make melomels, do you just ignore the presence of the fruit and calculate the nutrient amounts as though the fruit was not present?
It really depends on your fruit load. Low fruit loads; 1-3 lbs/gallon, I'd mostly ignore it, perhaps offset 50ppm YAN. Higher than that, you may want to offset up to 150ppm YAN.

I posted a recipe for a dry traditional I have used with success here:

the sweet mead recipe I linked in the post is decent, but is targeted at absolute beginners and can improved, if you're interested, I can provide some pointers.

A friend of mine who is very knowledgable about nutrition in meads actually released a video today about calculating nutes for superfruit meads today:

This was created as part of the r/mead subreddit monthly challenge which is a superfruit mel; a friend who is an expert superfruit meadmaker also has a nice write up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mead/comments/kozod8

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
@dmw_chef Thanks for posting this. I found the video to be very helpful. I found the spreadsheet last week, so I have been working with that too.

It seems like the answer to my question is to make an estimate of the amount of organic YAN provided by the fruit. He gives us a good ballpark figure to go by in the post quoted above: "I would suggest for starters to lower your YAN by 100ppm at 4lbs/gal and 150ppm and 6lbs/gal."

It seems like it is better to be conservative in estimating the amount of YAN in the fruit. If the total YAN is a little bit too high that is probably better than it being too low.