Yeast Nutrients

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have to look it up. Don't ask how many times I've typed '1hL in L' into Google... :)
I recently started doing things in metric, and making the mental conversion to think in metric is hard -- especially after a lifetime of not. I may live long enough for it to happen. ;)

I recently started doing things in metric, and making the mental conversion to think in metric is hard -- especially after a lifetime of not. I may live long enough for it to happen. ;)
Gave it up back in the 70s when the conversion "push" originally started! (though was only in grade school at the time) lol

I know how you feel, you weigh something/ write up a process in kilos and then you have to convert into barrels of rice or bushels of corn when talking to plant folks.

Try living in Canada. Our weather is in celsius. Our ovens, pools, and hot tubs in Fahrenheit. Our speed is in km, tire pressure is in psi, and oil comes in quarts. Washer fluid in gallon jugs. Some vehicles only let you pick the system and you can't change from kpa to psi. So suddenly you are stuck living in 70 psi world with a screen displaying 464 kpa. The mind recoils in horror.

I was taught to build in feet and inches. All lumber comes in 10-12 14-16 ft lengths, 4x8 ft sheets, but government jobs are in metric. 10 ft, 3048 mm. Complete insanity. 3048 or 10... Which is easier to comprehend? hmmm. 10! Every time! My mind can gauge it, imagine 3 compared to ten. It's quite elegant in its simplicity.

People that don't build use metric for distances and lengths, so you have to speak another language with them. It requires the use of hand gestures. Uhmm, it was about this big..

SOOO, I live in a world where pressure washer hoses and extension cords come in 50-100 ft lengths. but it rains in mm, and snows in cm. Comfortable weather is in the 20's and a warm pool is in the 80's. Paint comes in gallon pails, but we make bread measuring in ml. We weigh flour in grams and meat in lbs and oz's. Shot glasses are 1 oz, but beer cans are 355 ml.

The amount of times I have to google conversions is daunting. It's an absolute mad house up here. 😄

Love metric… being a paramedic the medication calculations are so much easier. I have a chart in my wine making room for all the conversions. It’s bonkers.

Ha-agree, my whole professional life is in metric. But everything else is in inches and miles. It's madness. The USA should have converted to metric back in the 80s when there was a push to do so. But I think, even in Britain, they are officially metric and still talk in miles.

I did not like buying gasoline in Canada last summer though, and it always seemed they were trying to confuse me. $1.99 per liter seems cheap until you do the math. Then you hate Canadian gas stations. But I drove 10,000 km in Canada last summer and came to prefer metric measurements.

But in the end, metric is better, easier, more intuitive, and we should bite the bullet in the USA, convert quickly, and not look back.

Ha-agree, my whole professional life is in metric. But everything else is in inches and miles. It's madness. The USA should have converted to metric back in the 80s when there was a push to do so. But I think, even in Britain, they are officially metric and still talk in miles.

I did not like buying gasoline in Canada last summer though, and it always seemed they were trying to confuse me. $1.99 per liter seems cheap until you do the math. Then you hate Canadian gas stations. But I drove 10,000 km in Canada last summer and came to prefer metric measurements.

But in the end, metric is better, easier, more intuitive, and we should bite the bullet in the USA, convert quickly, and not look back.
I am fine with a lot of it, but I will never build a metric structure! An inch is a glorious measuring tool.

The amount of times I have to google conversions is daunting. It's an absolute mad house up here.
So ... Canada is as screwed up as the USA? The common denominator is that both have governments, so the symmetry makes sense. 🤣

Funny, I had to look at the thread title to see what one I was in. We seriously derailed this one! Situation normal ....

Summarizing all above: in case I do the same batch, may I use previous batch gross lees as both yeast starter (pied de cuve) and extra source of nutrition?
For a yeast starter? Yes. I make second run wines by adding sugar was to the pomace of a first run wine, and the wine always takes off immediately. Fresh lees should have a fair amount of live yeast in it.

For nutrient? I have no experience in that arena and can't comment. Having had brushes with H2S, I am now cautious and ensure I've got sufficient nutrient to keep the yeast happy. I suggest doing web searches on the topic to (hopefully) find professional research on the topic.

So ... Canada is as screwed up as the USA? The common denominator is that both have governments, so the symmetry makes sense. 🤣
If it weren't for the moderators the number of tangents that could spawn is mind boggling!

I guess I'm lucky. A LONG time ago I was a physics major and have no problem doing rough conversions of the measurement systems in my head. I use them both. For cooking it's ounces and cups and baking it's grams and milliliters. In wine making it's both. In fact when making a Star San solution I add milliliters of Star San to a gallon of water.

Latest posts

Back