Ph meter in soil

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having worked in a QA lab, yes you can get a soil pH. A factory’s lab will use the same pH meter for everything.

The standard would be take a composite sample from several spots in the garden/ field,
split it down with a riffel divider - half to half to half to half etc till you have a workable sample size
Mix soil with distilled water ex 25 grams with 25 ml, settle solids
Drain and measure pH

You can do about the same thing by collecting five samples, checking pH and averaging the numbers

Thanks man. Googled some different techniques and all were in the the same theory.

Basically I’m planting some grass seed in a good sized area. And want to check if any prep work to the soil is necessary.
I know 6-7ph is ideal. And if acidic then adding some lime is recommended. Still not sure about high ph soil.

But mainly wanted to know if using the ph meter I use on my wine is acceptable

Basically I’m planting some grass seed in a good sized area. And want to check if any prep work to the soil is necessary.
I know 6-7ph is ideal. And if acidic then adding some lime is recommended. Still not sure about high ph soil.
The standard for alkaline soil is to add sulphate ( or pine needles if organic).This is normally done for acid loving plants like blueberries where one wants 4 or 5, available at your garden center. Elemental sulfur should do the same.
Much of the country already has alkaline soil. Usually lime is added as a treatment for moss not to prep for grass.

Latest posts

Back