Soil ph in Minnesota

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdrients

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had my soil tested this fall for the first time. My Marquette grape vines were looking very tired. Turns out my ph is 7.9 which I am told prevents the vines from taking up nutrients. What can I spread over the vineyard soil/grass to lower the ph?

I just had my soil tested this fall for the first time. My Marquette grape vines were looking very tired. Turns out my ph is 7.9 which I am told prevents the vines from taking up nutrients. What can I spread over the vineyard soil/grass to lower the ph?
I believe sulfur is typically used. Check with your local co-op or farm and garden. It is difficult to affect a long lasting change though. You are fighting the buffering capacity of the soil and subsoil. It will likely require regular additions. It would work better if you could till it into the soil between the rows.

Just to make sure you have a full picture, what was your soil salinity levels? If a little high I would check your irrigation water as well. Saline water can wreak all kinds of havoc on soil makeup and subsequently grape vigor. Since you most likely irrigate regularly and is something you add to the soil on a regular basis unless dry farming it can keep compounding your problem. Also, your water could be slightly higher ph. The water where I live is about ph 7.8, so if your soil has high ph and your water has high ph, that will again compound factors.

I think sulfur is the option. Keep in mind hybrid grapes do best in 6 to 6.2 range but it may take a few applications to reach that optimal number. If you have a local extension service they can do the calculation for you as to how much to add and whether to split between fall/spring etc.

I also live in Minnesota (Southern) and had my soil from 2 small vineyard plots tested for the first time this last fall. Both of my plots showed a PH of 7.8. I'll be watching this thread to see how I might also be able to adjust PH levels down.

When you sample the soil take several cores from the area in question, perhapse 6-12 cores down to the 6-12 inch level and perhapse to the 2 foot level. Mix them all together and take the sample for analysis from that mix. It will give you an average pH for the area. I would also test for N-P-K, %organics, mainly you are looking for a routine soil analysis. If you tell the soil lab that the crop is grapes, they can usually recommend a fertilizer perscription and an idea of pounds per acre. A prescription rich in sulfur would give the quickest adjustment, however, peat & pine needles would also lower pH over time.

How much of an area are you trying to acidify? I don't have grapes but when I need to add acid here in Ohio, I use Aluminum Sulfate. Our soil where I live is very alkaline and to grow Azaleas or Rhododendron, we have to add it.

Back