Harvest days

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and today I harvested all my Marquette grapes. Great harvest lots of big clusters, no bugs, no rot, best harvest I’ve had. 30 six gallon buckets all told from about 50 vines. IMG_3096.jpeg Ph was 3.28 and sg around 1.096. I had to buy another 32 gallon Brute container. Pitched yeast tonight and will pitch MLB tomorrow. Here’s an average cluster. I thinned clusters on some rows in the spring and those vines had the biggest clusters, the ph and sg was about the same in thinned and unthinned vines.

30 buckets from 50 vines!! Awesome.
Nice, clean clusters.
Seems like 50 vines is a good number for a hobby vineyard without it becoming too much of a job.
What crusher/destemmer do you have? That's my next step. I'm thinking inoItalia manual crank.....

30 buckets from 50 vines!! Awesome.
Nice, clean clusters.
Seems like 50 vines is a good number for a hobby vineyard without it becoming too much of a job.
What crusher/destemmer do you have? That's my next step. I'm thinking inoItalia manual crank.....
I rent a crusher destemmer from my local wine supply shop for $50. It’s an Italian brand all steel, hand crank, works very well. I think a new one is about $700. I would like to buy one just for the convenience of being able to pick exactly when I want, not an arbitrary day I have to reserve the machine.

Yesterday and today I harvested all my Marquette grapes. Great harvest lots of big clusters, no bugs, no rot, best harvest I’ve had. 30 six gallon buckets all told from about 50 vines. View attachment 105705 Ph was 3.28 and sg around 1.096. I had to buy another 32 gallon Brute container. Pitched yeast tonight and will pitch MLB tomorrow. Here’s an average cluster. I thinned clusters on some rows in the spring and those vines had the biggest clusters, the ph and sg was about the same in thinned and unthinned vine

Yesterday and today I harvested all my Marquette grapes. Great harvest lots of big clusters, no bugs, no rot, best harvest I’ve had. 30 six gallon buckets all told from about 50 vines. View attachment 105705 Ph was 3.28 and sg around 1.096. I had to buy another 32 gallon Brute container. Pitched yeast tonight and will pitch MLB tomorrow. Here’s an average cluster. I thinned clusters on some rows in the spring and those vines had the biggest clusters, the ph and sg was about the same in thinned and unthinned vines.
They look textbook perfect. Nice job.

I took a look at one of the vineyards I am getting grapes from this year today and the brix was 15 on vines in shadier spots and as high as 25 on some in really harsh areas average overall was 20 brix so I’m going to wait 2 weeks should be 24 brix by end of the month for that vineyard.

Latest posts

Back