Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Varis. It is a great wine. I pretty much went by the book on that one, with the exception of running it through a brand new Vadai for 5 weeks. All I had to do on this one is not screw it up! :)

Jim, I was reading barrel prep instructions on the Vadai web site. Sounds kind of fussy. Did you get water leakage or did the barrels seal easily? Do you typically age 5 weeks in the barrel? How many times can one use a Vadai barrel to impart flavors? Thanks. Gary

Gary,

I have 2 23L barrels and both sealed up without issue. As a final step, I fill them with hot water and let them sit for a couple days, just to be sure they have no leaks. The whole prep process takes a couple hours, but there isn't a ton of hands on time.

As far as time in the barrel, 4-6 weeks is about right the first time through a barrel of this size. Next batch goes 8 weeks, then 10-12. Now, I run kits through for 12 weeks. My older barrel (18 months) is used for fresh juice/grape wines, and they are staying 4-6 months. They will stop giving oak flavor after 18-24 months of use, but you still get the micro-ox and concentration. And you can always use cubes, staves, etc for flavor.

Recently I sampled some of Bill "Hokapsig" handiwork. Had the Pinot Gris last week at crawfish boil. Everyone loved it. Great clear color. Excellent crisp, bright citrus went very well with the Mud Bugs. Bill thought it was a bit too sweet as did I at first sip but then loved it with the Cajun paring.
On Memorial day I opened his Battlefield Blush. I have to admit I was a little unsure as I usually don't do blush wines . . . HOWEVER . . . this was really outstanding. Absolutely clear blush color, just right sweetness for blush and great fruit. My daughter and I each had a glass chilled then I mixed the other 2/3 bottle with a touch of vodka, some sparkling water, Grand Manier, citrus slices and frozen berries to make a delicious blush Sangria to accompany our Memorial day burgers. Thanks for your thoughtfulness Bill.

Thanks for the nice words Tony. Should have gone to 1.001 instead of 1.005 on the Pinot.

I recently got my hands on a bottle of DangerDave's dragon blood. Now, I've made a few batches of the stuff myself, but I was excited to try some from the DB Godfather. I wasn't disappointed. I've enjoyed the DB I've made, but Dave's is just better. Everything seems to be in good harmony - there's a lot of fruit and acid going on in these wines, and Dave's is perfectly balanced. Well done Dave. Thanks!!

Got a bottle of Smokey Pinot Noir up for trade.
PM if interested!

I recently got my hands on a bottle of DangerDave's dragon blood. Now, I've made a few batches of the stuff myself, but I was excited to try some from the DB Godfather. I wasn't disappointed. I've enjoyed the DB I've made, but Dave's is just better. Everything seems to be in good harmony - there's a lot of fruit and acid going on in these wines, and Dave's is perfectly balanced. Well done Dave. Thanks!!

Thank you, Jim. I'm very glad you enjoyed it. This might make some of our contestants in the DB contest very nervous. But they wanted me to participate, not judge. :h

"Smokey" Pinot Noir?

Sorry,

Should have ready "oakey"

This is what happens when I try posting on the forum, while trying type an important work email.
I am just thankfull that the typo we here and not there!

Sorry,

Should have ready "oakey"

This is what happens when I try posting on the forum, while trying type an important work email.
I am just thankfull that the typo we here and not there!

Gotcha. Which kit is that one from?

Hello Everyone,
We had the pleasure of receiving some of Lonestar Lori's wine in the mail a few days ago, and we just had the opportunity to crack one open tonight and this is our review on the Shiraz Viognier.

Things to remember: This is a very young wine, bottles April 22, 2014. This was a Cru Special Selection Kit- Australian Shiraz. (We have this kit waiting in our queue to brew!)
Acid: 3.7 (You can taste this upfront but it wasn't over-powering. This was probably due to the 2 bags of oak that is provided with the kit, in addition to the wine tannins.)
Body- Medium to Full body
Color- Dark, Inky. (Nice!)
Aroma- Oak aroma up front, slightly earthy. This should deepen as the wine ages due to the fact that it has a high acidity (this will be a nice wine aged at least a year)
Taste- "Woody" upfront with fruity after tones. Dry to the finish (due to the viognier as described)
Overall, this is a well balanced kit and can only get better. I think this is one everyone should try due to the wine combination Shiraz/viognier.

Good Job, Lori!:D

All the best,
Joe and Katie

Lonestar Lori.jpg

Hello Everyone,
We had the pleasure of receiving some of Lonestar Lori's wine in the mail a few days ago, and we just had the opportunity to crack one open tonight and this is our review on the Shiraz Viognier.

Things to remember: This is a very young wine, bottles April 22, 2014. This was a Cru Special Selection Kit- Australian Shiraz. (We have this kit waiting in our queue to brew!)
Acid: 3.7 (You can taste this upfront but it wasn't over-powering. This was probably due to the 2 bags of oak that is provided with the kit, in addition to the wine tannins.)
Body- Medium to Full body
Color- Dark, Inky. (Nice!)
Aroma- Oak aroma up front, slightly earthy. This should deepen as the wine ages due to the fact that it has a high acidity (this will be a nice wine aged at least a year)
Taste- "Woody" upfront with fruity after tones. Dry to the finish (due to the viognier as described)
Overall, this is a well balanced kit and can only get better. I think this is one everyone should try due to the wine combination Shiraz/viognier.

Good Job, Lori!:D

All the best,
Joe and Katie

Thanks for the kind review Joe. I thought pretty much the same. Very Oakie. It should be good by Christmas.

Shipping wine via the USPS is a federal offense. Just letting you folks know.

Yes, I am aware. That's why I sent it UPS. I think Joe was just using the term 'mail'. However, I have sent marinade in the past via mail. Funny thing, it must have spoiled during transit. The recipient said it tasted like it had fermented.

This evening my family and I had the pleasure of sampling tonyt's Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon at out Labor Day dinner. Overall, the wine was outstanding and below are some of the details and comments from those who had it:

1. Color: excellent, dark ruby red, clear all the way to the border.
2. Great nose and mouth feel.
3. Balance: perfect
4. Taste: Spicy and very fruity, particularly cinnamon, nutmeg and cherries.
5. Big and Bold. The wine seems about 14+% ABV.

"Fruity at the middle of the tongue, nice finish."
"Beautiful color, deep, dark red."
"Great complement to roasted meat."
"Faultless."

When we poured the first glass, we noted an anomaly on the surface of the wine much like some type of fine residue. Subsequent pours did not produce the residue and after a few minutes the residue vanished from the first glass. We assume that the wine merely needed to breathe and that the residue was a collection of very fine bubbles of CO2. We had the wine with a simple meal of grilled tenderloin, Caprese salad and bread.

Excellent job on the wine, Tonyt. We recommend aerating the wine before serving but other than that, there is nothing that would improve this wine. The wine was excellent and very memorable.

Thanks Rocky. I always airate and decant so I guess I've never noticed any gas or residue. Guess I better open a split tonight. I too was pleased with that kit. That was the Cellar Craft Kenridge LR from 2013.

This evening my family and I had the pleasure of sampling tonyt's Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon at out Labor Day dinner.

When we poured the first glass, we noted an anomaly on the surface of the wine much like some type of fine residue. Subsequent pours did not produce the residue and after a few minutes the residue vanished from the first glass.

We oprned a bottle tonight to check this out and you are absolutely right. I think it has just a touch of gas still. We havnt noticed because we almost always airate and decant our home made wines. I gave a split the shake test after pouring a few ounces and got a bit of a pop. Good call. I will be careful to always lit this one breathe a bit prior to serving. Thanks Rocky for the comments.

The UPS man made me very happy today. I received 2 bottles from @joeswine wine. I can't wait to try these. Especially the Shiraz/Viognier since I did the same kit. It will be interesting to sip them side-by-side and see how our different tweaks affected the same kit. Also looking forward to the Shiraz with Corinthian grapes. I have not been able to get my hands on fresh ones so I'm excited to see how different they play out in the end. Coming from Joe, this HAS to be a great wine.

Thank you Joe! I'll report back soon.

D7BB22E1-FA7C-4087-B6CB-9283ED2DD1B3.jpg

Geek's Cabernet/Merlot

A few weeks ago, I received a package from Varis ( @geek ). If I'm not mistaken, the Cabernet/Merlot I'm enjoying was his first work with fresh grapes from last fall.

It is a little young, but well on its way. Solid, but not overwhelming tannins, medium body, with notes of summer berries. I'm enjoying it. Nice work, Varis! I poured this one through my Vinturi. It is opening up quickly and nicely.

Under edit: BTW, here's a pic of the label. Also very nice. This has been open for about an hour now and I just poured a second glass. The more it breathes, the better it gets.

IMG_2751.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear you like it Jim.
That is the wine that made silver medal in the big/bold competition, you're right, the wine is just about 13 months old but progressing nicely.

I opened a bottle 2 nights ago and was pleasantly surprised on how it is coming alone, I tasted a hint of softness and vanilla, maybe due to the tannin Complex added in January, not sure.

Back