Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is a very old corks screw. We had one at home like that, I believe. If is was the same type, the "wing nut" that is screwed down to remove the cork, rotates 90 degrees for easy removal. As I remember, it was cast aluminum.

Coffee port express

THAT'SJS FOR THOSE KIND WORDS ,I KNOW THIS PORT IS OUT OF THE NORM AND THAT'S OK,REALLY LIKE YOUR DESCRIPTION....THANKS AGAIN.JP :u

I bought that corkscrew in the late 1980s in a shop in Williamsburg, Va., when we lived there. I have been unable to find one like it anywhere since, though there are some close models made of hardwood. James, get to work!

Joe, the praise is well-deserved.

Jim,
Just finished the bottle of Moonshiners Muscadine. Excellent wine.
The first sip has that berry taste, and then it finishes with the familiar Muscadine flavor. Hard to tell it even contains alcohol. Now I have a wine to strive for. It sure beats the store bought Muscadines that I've tried so far.
Thanks, greatly appreciated that bottle.

Oops, didn't realize we had this section.

I finished a bottle of jswordy's Moonshiners Muscadine last week. Now Jim had told me it was suh-WEET, just like it should be. :) I was expecting a very sugary, moscato-like sweet wine but to my pleasure, it was nothing like that. It was sweet on the front end(but not overpowering) and very smooth and unique on the back end(I assume the unique flavor was the muscadine as I have never had any before). I agree with reefman, it was hard to tell it even had alcohol(it was so smooth) until I got halfway through the bottle, then my senses let me know it had alcohol.
I very much enjoyed this wine, which isn't normally something I would, as I am not a big fan of sweet wines, but this had such a unique flavor. My wife also thought it was a hit as she likes sweeter wines. She too, thought it had a very smooth, unique flavor.
Good work Jim..............coming from a newbie. :)

And a huge thank you.

I was topping off my Kenridge Limited Edition Sangiovese-Cab in the Vadai when I realized that tonyt (Tony from Texas) sent me a bottle of this very same wine. The first thing I noticed is the wonderful deep Garnet color. Then the taste test revealed what I already knew; Tony is a craftsman when it comes to what I call the trinity: oak, tannin and glycerin.
This wine is very balanced. The oak is very well done with great tannins on the finish. I know some have belittled glycerin as a winemaking tool, but it can really smooth out oak and tannin used by someone that knows what they are doing. I aggree when overdone it can add an off taste and sweetness, but not in this wine. Thanks for sending me the bottle. I owe you one. I am thinking maybe my Cellar Craft Limited Release Erickson Farms Nebbiolo. By the way I do remember I have a barrel fermented Chardonnay you sent me. Thats for another time. Cheers.

"Moderation in all things especially moderation". Emerson

Thanks for the kind words Earl.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

We had the pleasure of tasting Tuscon’s Malbec tonight. Lucille, Katie, and I really enjoyed it! These are our thoughts:
Definitely tastes like a Malbec- which is always a plus! Medium to heavy body (nice)
Nice color and alcohol. Finishes light. This was a really nice wine and think it would go great with a hearty dish. (Lucille and Katie were dreaming of roasted beef and potatoes and thought how great they would go together. I think they are crazy and think this would go great with steak!)
Either way, Tuscon did a nice job with this one. Time in the bottle will only improve this wine. This shows what you can do thinking outside the box! Kudos to him!

p.s. –Tuscon- We will try your Jalepeno wine next week. We have a Haitian friend coming over who loves hot foods and we want his im put, too- he would be a great judge for this!

Tuscon's Wine.jpg

Joe, I could of not done the Malbec without your help to think outside the box, and it has greatly improved over time. Your cranberry wine was very much enjoyed on the back porch - great body, a very good finish, mild alcohol, right amount of tannin. This would be a killer wine on a hot Arizona summer evening in the ole back porch!

The coffee port was a hit with my wife and daughter but a little sweet to my taste understanding port is always sweet. I could really taste the additional coffee and Caramel? Or maybe vanilla beans and I loved the "taster" bottle.

Tuscon's jalapeño wine

sometimes we just get it right,in this picture is a friend of mine and a fellow wine maker, who's jalapeño wine is hot.harsh and down right undrinkable, so after tasting this wine i asked him to come over and taste.

there's how it came down,first you can taste sweet peppers and jalapeños but not in the offensive way in a gentle but with enough pepper power to let you know what your drinking,then it hits you the mint very nice once again not overpowering just well balanceD the little bit of lemon juice and sugar added to the overall beauty of this package,so to that my friend took the recipe that accompanies the wine and stated" this is great and nothing like mind" he was impressed and so was I, very BIG surprise in this SMALL bottle, great job tuscon.........

IMG_20140316_133214664.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, you are too kind. It is a very good different wine but I absolutely love jalapeños. Yes, it's hot but the mint, lemon and small amount of sweetness takes the edge off the hotness.

Tuscon jalapeño wine

on the contraire it was a perfect balance of heat and sweet. Don't change anything about it.:u

Great review about sweetness and hot. Recently I tasted an ice wine that a winery added one Ty Dragon Pepper to. It was freakin awesome. They tried a few cases one year and offered them at their tasting bar. They immediately sold out. Today that same winery is adding the same pepper to three out four bottles they make and still sell out. Who would of known?? This is there description;

VIDAL FIRE AND ICE
Vidal Blanc Fire & Ice is made from grapes that are permitted to freeze on the vine. This full flavored wine has wonderful honey and apricot like flavors with a cayenne pepper added to make it a sweet treat with heat on the finish.

Folks,

Spring approaches. The end of Easter and Lent marks the beginning of my bottling season. This year, we have ...

2013 Dry Reisling
2013 Chilean Cabernet
2012 California Cabernet.

It has been a while since I swapped bottles with anybody, and I am just wondering if anybody would care to partake in some swapping with me.

I have only 2 rules...

1) Wine made from grapes please. (no skeeter pee, for example). Kits, pails, fresh fruit are all OK so long as they are grape based.

2) All kidding aside, no concord or Welch's please.

Who wants to put their keys in the bowl?

Last edited:
Count me in, John. I'll be bottling my 2013 Chileans soon and have a kit wine or two you might enjoy. My Petit Syrah will be going into the barrel and won't be bottled until fall probably. But I'd be happy to trade then as well.

Count me in, John. I'll be bottling my 2013 Chileans soon and have a kit wine or two you might enjoy. My Petit Syrah will be going into the barrel and won't be bottled until fall probably. But I'd be happy to trade then as well.

BB,

Is your petit sarah from fresh grapes?

I have to say that Petit Syrah is a fantastic grape. I have not failed to medal a Petit Syrah in the last 15 years. I will be making some this summer.

Latest posts

Back