Oak or NO Oak??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac1961

Junior
Reaction score
I have Cabernet in a carboy for about a month now. I read that you can still add oak at this point. Is this right and what are the thoughts about Oak or No Oak??

yes you can, I usually wait until fermentation is complete before I add any oak.

I agree, its the best time to start oaking. Even when buying a kit that has oak supplied now I push that aside and add my own oak after fermentation. You have much better control of it.

How long do I leave the oak in?? I read that it can be cleaned off and put back in after racking; and then removed with the last racking. Is this right?

Depends on what you use. My personal favortie is Med Toast European (or Hungarian) oak beads (or cubes). Had great results. I would leave the oak in there for 6 to 8 weeks.

Do not bother try to save your oak for later use. They are cheap as chips and will not give the same flavors the second time around. I would not reuse oak beads any more than I would reuse a toungue depresser.

I would not reuse oak beads any more than I would reuse a toungue depresser.

I used to lick them and put them back in the jar. They jars always open for anybody to do that.

No I Didn't but couldn't resist!

I will add med. toast (no jelly) american oak to my Cabs. and age it in there a year. I have added 8 ounces of chips for a 5 gallon.

That may be a bit much for some but it works well for us. You could add a little and sample a few months later. Add more if needed.

Back