Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any suggestions on types of oak cubes for Petite Sirah and Cabernet Sauvignon. I know everyones tastes are different but was asking for suggestions.

I have been checking on some of the Petite Sirahs I like such as David Micheals Petite Petite and it uses 87% French and 13% American. Bogle uses 100% American Oak. Some Cabernet Sauvignon's uses a mix of French and American some 100% French.

The Petite I recently made was aged on 1.5 oz for 6 gal American oak. I am unable to pick the flavors out. Oak seems very light because I don't seem to test it at all. I started another batch of Petite Sirah and was thinking about a 85% French and 15% American or 100% Hungarian Oak maybe bump it up to 2oz for 6 gal. I will have two 6gal carboys. Should I try 85% French 15% American in one and 100% Hungarian in the other? Then I have 3 different options to taste and compare the difference?

For my Cabernet Sauvignon I currently have, was aged on American Oak. I have two 6 gal Carboys needing oak soon. Should I try a French American mix on it too or Hungarian or American? Seems a few wineries I like say it was aged on French\American so I'm thinking I should do a 85% French 15% American on it as well. Does Hungarian Oak work with Cabernet Sauvignon.

The American and French oak cubes I have are Med + toast and the Hungarian med toast.

Anyway just thinking about what I might want to do next and what suggestions people may have on this subject.

Thanks

I was wondering if there are any suggestions on types of oak cubes for Petite Sirah and Cabernet Sauvignon. I know everyones tastes are different but was asking for suggestions.

I have been checking on some of the Petite Sirahs I like such as David Micheals Petite Petite and it uses 87% French and 13% American. Bogle uses 100% American Oak. Some Cabernet Sauvignon's uses a mix of French and American some 100% French.

The Petite I recently made was aged on 1.5 oz for 6 gal American oak. I am unable to pick the flavors out. Oak seems very light because I don't seem to test it at all. I started another batch of Petite Sirah and was thinking about a 85% French and 15% American or 100% Hungarian Oak maybe bump it up to 2oz for 6 gal. I will have two 6gal carboys. Should I try 85% French 15% American in one and 100% Hungarian in the other? Then I have 3 different options to taste and compare the difference?

For my Cabernet Sauvignon I currently have, was aged on American Oak. I have two 6 gal Carboys needing oak soon. Should I try a French American mix on it too or Hungarian or American? Seems a few wineries I like say it was aged on French\American so I'm thinking I should do a 85% French 15% American on it as well. Does Hungarian Oak work with Cabernet Sauvignon.

The American and French oak cubes I have are Med + toast and the Hungarian med toast.

Anyway just thinking about what I might want to do next and what suggestions people may have on this subject.

Thanks
Those are really specific oak additions and I salute you for that level of detail.
I prefer the oak spirals to offer the best noticeable flavor extraction in just 6 weeks. Medium, medium plus and heavy toast.
Also wine cubes or oak stix.
The beauty of making wine is that you can use any combo you like!
Let us know what you went with and how it turned out. Salute 🍷

Huh. I'm surprised this post didn't get a response before now.

Prior to WWI, the French used primarily Hungarian oak. Because of supply breakage during the war, the French switched to native oak and never switched back.

I've tried many options, but generally prefer Hungarian oak. As much as I love Bordeaux, I find that for my own winemaking, French oak imparts a sour taste. American oak can be a bit harsh, and Hungarian is in between.

I also don’t remember seeing this post. Another dinosaur moment.

I routinely use 4 oz Hungarian medium toast cubes per 5 gallons. To be honest I usually can’t tell that it’s been oaked. In some recent batches I add an additional 4oz but I don’t think those have been bottled yet, so no further advice to give.

I like a 50/50 mix of French med+ and American med to heavy toast. I use cubes and add about 2.5 oz to each carboy.

Latest posts

Back