Other Not all winemakers are equal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"My advice is think like a winemaker and leave the hysterics behind."

Malvina I love this statement! There is no doubt in my mind about the knowledge on that forum which I am not a member. Folks, we all have choices. If you like that kind of forum join it, lots of information. If you don't like it, so be it and don't read it.

I personally love the way this forum is ran and I feel Malvina is a great contributer and respectfully lets you know her opinion (yeah we all get reeled back in once in a while).

As far as kits go, look at what I've made. I've made a boat load of them and continue to buy special edition kits when they come out. I have never had anything but exceptional results from them. With that said I have also made some wine from scratch and a lot from juice with mixed results. With that said, I agree kits should be judged in a class of their own.

I will continue to make most of my wine from juice. I crush and press all day during harvest. I don't want to do it when I get home also or on weekends when I can just purchase the juice of grapes I pressed at work. In addition to that I don't need to make the investment in equipment or have the mess. I did buy an Apple shredder/press though this year on Craigs List.

Please keep in mind that a very accomplished winemaker Marty Yule was banned from this site because after he was told you use a speech recognition program to write your posts here he asked if you were handicapped. He meant no harm. So at the end of the day you can have a Moderator control speech or you can truly accept free speech. I am pretty sure after this Joe they will find a reason to ban me.
Malvina

Personally, I'm not going ban you. because so far, there's been a difference between how you've chosen to handle yourself and the blatant disregard MartyYule decided to show towards others - the incident you mentioned was merely the straw-that-broke-the-camels-back... But since its backs broke, and its been dead - i'm gonna leave it buried.

Really though, I'm sorry if the need for civility makes you feel as if you've been censored.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions & your opinion wont get you censored - but an attitude will, regardless of how much winemaking knowledge one may possess

I find it a bit disconcerting that you seem to be so defensive of the attitudes being displayed in the provided link.
You find it disconserting? Well I find it disconcerting that my Wine Club and some of my friends are being mischaracterized by some here. Defending them you can be sure I am.
Malvina

Personally, I'm not going ban you. because so far, there's been a difference between how you've chosen to handle yourself and the blatant disregard MartyYule decided to show towards others - the incident you mentioned was merely the straw-that-broke-the-camels-back... But since its backs broke, and its been dead - i'm gonna leave it buried.

Really though, I'm sorry if the need for civility makes you feel as if you've been censored.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions & your opinion wont get you censored - but an attitude will, regardless of how much winemaking knowledge one may possess

I have never been aware of being censored by you or anyone else here.
Malvina

"My advice is think like a winemaker and leave the hysterics behind."

Malvina I love this statement! There is no doubt in my mind about the knowledge on that forum which I am not a member. Folks, we all have choices. If you like that kind of forum join it, lots of information. If you don't like it, so be it and don't read it.

I personally love the way this forum is ran and I feel Malvina is a great contributer and respectfully lets you know her opinion (yeah we all get reeled back in once in a while).

As far as kits go, look at what I've made. I've made a boat load of them and continue to buy special edition kits when they come out. I have never had anything but exceptional results from them. With that said I have also made some wine from scratch and a lot from juice with mixed results. With that said, I agree kits should be judged in a class of their own.

I will continue to make most of my wine from juice. I crush and press all day during harvest. I don't want to do it when I get home also or on weekends when I can just purchase the juice of grapes I pressed at work. In addition to that I don't need to make the investment in equipment or have the mess. I did buy an Apple shredder/press though this year on Craigs List.
Thanks for this Dan
Malvina

You find it disconserting? Well I find it disconcerting that my Wine Club and some of my friends are being mischaracterized by some here. Defending them you can be sure I am.
Malvina
You know, making a spoof about and exaggerating a well-known person's idiosyncrasies can be humorous and comical (like Saturday Night Live does, or tries to do), but mocking someone and making up supposed conversations for the sole purpose of ridiculing someone else is where it ceases to be funny, at least to me. But then your 'friends' on that blog site took it a step beyond that, just to be hateful and really prove how superior they are to poor Tom V. Frankly, I don't know Tom V. or anything about him beyond his name, so I couldn't care less about protecting him or his reputation, but reading the blog posts (I read several) and the attacks on commenters that took issue with the viciousness of those posts was like watching a couple of 9th graders (who were held back a couple grades) beat up on the 7th graders on the school bus. Reading it through a second time, I realized it had nothing to do kits vs. grapes - it was just small-minded and ugly. My lasting impression of that site's author and the dominant commenters (don't worry, I won't be going back) was of disgust, and later, pity.

You may have a high regard for their winemaking abilities, but I consider the quality of the person to be a little more important - but, hey, that's just me.

Everyone is entitled to interpret what they read as they wish. More importantly is as long as they are permitted to read it without someone else deciding they can't. You may not like what you read there but you had the opportunity to read it. You also have the opportunity to comment about it there as you did here. That opportunity does not exist everywhere but it exists there. Oh and Bart you should not really be one to talk. While you were spouting about fear of your physical well being in your original post here you didn't waste any time calling the members of my club A$$holes. Practice what you preach Bart.
Malvina

Last edited:
Look, I've obviously never met them in person, which I assume you have. Perhaps they are pleasant and respectful in person, but when they get on the internet, they turn into something very different. In my experience, I have been in a couple situations where I felt it necessary to call the police because someone starting just 'going off', screaming and threatening violence for the slightest reason (way beyond a normal, rational reaction), so I seek to avoid those situations, and it was the same sort of insults/comments/attitudes I recognized in several of those blog posts. As of now, I am finished commenting or even thinking about them, but I am sorry if I hurt your feelings(?) because I called then an unkind name. Is it your intention to continue to defend their intensely personal attacks on "moron moderators", "amateurs" vs. "Amateurs", and anyone who doesn't agree kit wines are between undrinkable and poisonous? Their right to express themselves, we all agree on (and mine too, I assume), but are you defending their comments as if they were your own?

As I've said before, each of the forums seems to have a personality of its own. We gravitate to the forums where we sense more like minded people. If all we want is a quick answer we all know how to use google. But for social interaction with LIKE MINDED folks we come to the forums. Thats why I hang out here. Love you guys.

Look, I've obviously never met them in person, which I assume you have. Perhaps they are pleasant and respectful in person, but when they get on the internet, they turn into something very different. In my experience, I have been in a couple situations where I felt it necessary to call the police because someone starting just 'going off', screaming and threatening violence for the slightest reason (way beyond a normal, rational reaction), so I seek to avoid those situations, and it was the same sort of insults/comments/attitudes I recognized in several of those blog posts. As of now, I am finished commenting or even thinking about them, but I am sorry if I hurt your feelings(?) because I called then an unkind name. Is it your intention to continue to defend their intensely personal attacks on "moron moderators", "amateurs" vs. "Amateurs", and anyone who doesn't agree kit wines are between undrinkable and poisonous? Their right to express themselves, we all agree on (and mine too, I assume), but are you defending their comments as if they were your own?
Bart you seem to like to put words in people's mouths, I never shared my personal opinions about any of the comments made on WestchesterWinemakers.com and I am keeping it that way. Nevertheless the Blog serves Amateurs well whether you read it or not.
Malvina

Unfortunately, I wasted time reading the blog at the given link. One hit from me. Just because one has an opinion does not make it reasonable, well informed, or dignified.

All I will say is that I am very glad to be here.

Unfortunately, I wasted time reading the blog at the given link. One hit from me. Just because one has an opinion does not make it reasonable, well informed, or dignified.

All I will say is that I am very glad to be here.
Then purely as a Winemaker you missed numerous informative posts. A quick use of the search engine on the site would prove what I am saying.
Malvina

Then purely as a Winemaker you missed numerous informative posts. A quick use of the search engine on the site would prove what I am saying.
Malvina

One can find plenty of informative posts on this forum and not have to deal with all the a$$ hattery. Win win if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back