WineXpert Best Manufacturer Nowadays

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been out of the game for a while now. Haven't made a kit in about 1.5 years. Prior to that, I had been making wine from kits for about 7 years and have made dozens of kits. I found RJS kits were better than WE kits generally speaking. I found WE kits produced the "kit taste" unless I bought an EP or LE kit. I just started 2 RJS kits. A CI White Zinfandel, and a Cru Select Chilean Malbec. What's everyone's experience been like lately with WE? I get a discount at my LHBS on RJS kits which is one of the reasons I make them. I also liked how RJS didn't over-concentrate their must for the longest time. But now, the Cru Select kits are 12 litres of concentrate instead of 16. I'm pretty disappointed by this.

About 3 years ago WE re-formulated their concentrates. I've only made a couple since then, but both (Reserve Australian CS, Australian Chardonnay) came out good with no KWT.

IIRC, RJS re-formulated at the same time. The reduced volume does not appear to have hurt quality, and in the case of WE, improved it.

You might consider Finer Wine Kits, sold through Label Peelers. Many folks (including me) on the forum have had great success with them.

Hi Everyone,

I've been out of the game for a while now. Haven't made a kit in about 1.5 years. Prior to that, I had been making wine from kits for about 7 years and have made dozens of kits. I found RJS kits were better than WE kits generally speaking. I found WE kits produced the "kit taste" unless I bought an EP or LE kit. I just started 2 RJS kits. A CI White Zinfandel, and a Cru Select Chilean Malbec. What's everyone's experience been like lately with WE? I get a discount at my LHBS on RJS kits which is one of the reasons I make them. I also liked how RJS didn't over-concentrate their must for the longest time. But now, the Cru Select kits are 12 litres of concentrate instead of 16. I'm pretty disappointed by this.
At this point I only make select RQ's from RJS, and select LE's from WE. The bulk of my production is from FWK.

Latest posts

Back