Other Ur fav Sangiovese kit & tweaks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious what everyone's fav Sangiovese kit is, any tweaks you may make to it & your typical protocol (yeast, bulk aging, oaking etc)?

I've made the RJS Cru Select & its been very well received. (Used the provided EC1118, bulk aged for only 3months on 1 American Oak Med toast spiral & bottle aged for min 2months).

Was hoping to do a FW one early this year...but doesn't sound like any available till Much later in the year.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've not done a Sangiovese kit yet (just a juice bucket), but in the Tweaking Cheap Kits thread it was suggested adding 1-2 cups of Zante currants to primary.
Any idea what Zante Currants provide compared to Raisins - when added to primary ferment? (haven't tried Currants to this point)

Cheers!

Well, for one thing, they are V. vinifera. I don't know if that has any detectable impact, but that might matter to a purist! :)
...and I'm not sure what that even really means as it pertains to adding to a wine ferment! (even after looking it up!)

Cheers!

Okay, I was making an error. I thought that most raisins in the US were NOT V. vinifera, that is, not the species that most wine grapes are. I was wrong about that -- the Thompson seedless grape is a V. vinifera variety. Sorry.

This isn't a sangiovese red wine kit, but the Winexpert Sangiovese Rose kit seems to be available again. I made two of thoseand bottled them recently, wonderful pale red color, no discernable kit taste, lightly backsweetened, just to red move the acidic harshness. Might be worth a look.

Curious what everyone's fav Sangiovese kit is, any tweaks you may make to it & your typical protocol (yeast, bulk aging, oaking etc)?

Cheers!

This thread I’m following as I was just looking for some Sange frozen juice and I’m not finding any. I did find a frozen must 6gal, but I wasn’t that impressed with the site. I’d also like to hear of suggestions.

I did look at winemaker mag 2021 rankings Top 100 Wine Kits of 2021 - WineMakerMag.com (a guide, I don’t take it as gospel-and I hope I’m allowed to link that) so now I’m thinking of going with an Amorone. I do have 5 gallons of Nebbiolo juice now aging.

Last edited:
Thank you. I did come across that (pretty good numbers) and am curious: with frozen juice, that equals no wine press. With the skins in a frozen must, I understand you are pressing the skins, which without a press I’m ‘hard-pressed’ to make. Am I misunderstanding that?

No, you can make a simple bucket press. That’s what I do and it works fine.

One thing to keep in mind about those frozen must buckets, they produce about 2.5-3 gallons of wine.

That is true. You are giving up a lot of bottles with the frozen must (based on 6 gal kit or juice). And the cost per bottle just jumped considerably.
Someone please weigh in on if it’s worth it. Earlier today I was weighing another kit, or waiting on my Chilean Malbec juice in May.

That is true. You are giving up a lot of bottles with the frozen must (based on 6 gal kit or juice). And the cost per bottle just jumped considerably.
Someone please weigh in on if it’s worth it. Earlier today I was weighing another kit, or waiting on my Chilean Malbec juice in May.

This is true, I’m a professional winemaker and I tried one of the frozen juice buckets just to experiment and see if in my opinion they are worth it. Found a company that had Carignan and for like $130 a bucket and I bought one and made it and thawed it and let it rip with nutrients and the same enzymes and yeast I always use and the results were quite good the grapes were good quality and the wine has the benefit of the freezing process effectively cold soaking it much better color. I feel that while expensive they are a good option for those of us who don’t have fresh grapes or want to produce good wine out of season.

I feel like the juice buckets are leaps and bounds better than most kit wine.

Back