newbie in ohio.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineCaveBill

family fermentor in chief
Reaction score
I recognized last year that I need a new hobby. I'm not sure how I picked up wine making but it has definitely fun! My wife and I have always enjoyed wine. We joined a mail order wine club late last year, Zagat Wines. This gave us the opportunity to enjoy several wines that we had no idea they were so good! Zinfandel s, tempernillos, Argentinian Malbecs. The Chiatis were great. I've tried many of these from our local supermarket but they were cheap and disappointing.

I started off in March of this year with my first wine kit, a WE Gewürztraminer. It was an early drinker, thankfully as it encouraged me to do more. Reading online, mostly this web forum, I decided to make WE Luna Rossa. Bottle in May of this year. After one month it was harsh, this August it is much better. Reading from this site I know patience is a virtue. Since then, I've made WE Luna Bianca. I am hooked. I bought another better bottle and now have a rjs super Tuscan that I will bottle this weekend, I have another WE Gewurtz in the other secondary for something to drink while the reds will age. I have 3 more kits in the basement to followup once I free up my secondaries. WE selection orig Barolo, WE amarone with skins and cc rosso fortissimo. I love big reds... I hope to have some quality wine with everyone help!

Like I read from others, I also have a supportive wife with my new addiction.

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. Nice to have another "Ahian" in the group. One of our more colorful members, DangerDave, lives in you neck of the woods. You may hook up with him at some point.

Welcome, Bill. I agree with Rocky. Nice to have another winemaker from Ohio.
You're making some nice wines there! :h

Welcome aboard!

Man, I'm impressed, you jumped into your new hobby and hit the ground running. That to me is lot of wine making for someone just starting out. I started in January and now have 4 kits under my belt. Drinking two and two still in the process. My wife and I are very pleased with the results of our first two kits, a Pinot Noir and Pinot Gregio. Both RJS VDV "4 week" kits. The big reds have got to be awesome by comparison.

"Colorful"? Thanks, Julie. I like that! :r

Well-well, another Chillicothian. Welcome aboard, Bill. I've made some big reds, but not many in our families like reds in general. They're missing out, because they are really good! I've worked on the Chilliocothe Fire Dept for 26 years. It's my home town. My wife and I live out on Sullivan Road.

We should do lunch---or some Crispie Creme Donuts!---and trade some vino! PM me if you are interested.

welcome Bill. Im not to far from you all. Im just over the boarder in Rising Sun Indiana down by Cincinnati

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are really hooked on your new hobby!

Learn as much as you can and have fun doing it.

"Colorful"? Thanks, Julie. I like that!
rockin.gif

Danger, I have been called a lot of things but never "Julie." :)

OopS! Sorry, Rocky! I need to pay more attention when I am...SQUIRREL!!! ;)

<ADD>

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and hospitality. I am looking forward to learning and sharing with you all!

Welcome Bill! I'm a former Ohioan. Grew up near Dayton until I moved to Houston in '75. I'll always miss the fall and snow days, but not enough to move back. :)
I just started my first batch from grapes I had on my fenceline. Six weeks later I am hooked! Hopefully my habit won't progress as fast as yours or I'll need to make new friends to give it all to.

Latest posts

Back