WineXpert New wine maker with a question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScubaDon said:
Hey Wade,
we are from bayou country in south Mississippi. The painting on our wall is of the old home place in the bayou. It is no longer there thanks to Katrina.

I have more pictures to post but had some computer problems and going to try again.

Don, you still in South Mississippi? I am in South East Louisiana between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I live in North Carolina and have been here for 18 years. Mom and Dad and all of my relatives on the Miss Gulf Coast lost their homes in Katrina. Mom and Dad have relocated to BeBee Arkansaw out side of Little Rock. The rest of the relatives in South Miss are rebuilding. It is a mess. Going back down there on Feb 2 for the weekend and then back down for the Mardi Gras on Thursday before fat Tuesday, can't remember the date. I have folks down there from BaySt. Lewis thru Ocean Springs.

In that second to last picture I thought the hydrometer was sticking
out of the airlock. That would be a neat invention! I had to look at it
2 times.

Don I would't worry too much about temp. 60 is nice but 70 or 72 is ok. As Smurfe posted a wine rack iin a room or closet will be fine. By the way welcome.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

That would be cool but it was in a glass sample tube. I just took another picture of the wine clearing and as soon as I can reduce the size to less than 150 KB I will post it.

Don

ScubaDon said:

Don, I see in this pic the hose is just in the carboy and the wine is splashing down into the carboy. If you put the hose to the bottom of the carboy when you rack you will introduce less oxygen into the wine by eliminating a lot of the aeration. Just a tip.
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

Thanks Smurfe,
This being my first wine, Have made beer for years, I didn't know if I should aerate it or not. I guess I used bad judgement and should not have do that. In the future, I will know better. Really love this website and learning tons of information every day. Just finished reading about coaster's ice wine. I love sweeter wines and I think that will be my next batch. I have to check and see if it only comes in 3 gallon kits?

Don

Only in 3 gallon kits. Youll need a 3 gallon carboy or two kits. Im
starting a sparkling wine ans they come the same so I bought 2 kits.

My wife and I both like sweet wines. Ice Wine is beyond sweet. If you have the opportunity, I would sample one of your musts you are fermenting at a SG of 1.060 or so. This is about where the Ice Wine will finish. Of course the taste will be different but it will give you an idea of the sweetness level. Also, I the acid levelseems to bea bit higher in the Ice Wine to go with the higher sugar level, but it will still give you an idea of just how sweet it is. I am starting to get some feedback on the Ice Wine I gave away at Christmas and most want to know what do they have to do to get another bottle, but a few said it was too much. Edited by: Coaster

I prefer dry wines, but I do love dessert wines as well. Like Coaster says, they can be too much for people. I recently made an ice wine and think it came out fantastic (if I do say so myself) although some that I've let try it say "no thanks".

Hey Coaster (David),
bet you didn't know that people were still reading your Ice Wine blog. I loved reading and learning about what you were doing. I know that after saying this nobody will ever speak to me again but I do love wine that taste like you just took a bite out of a really sweet grape. I even love some of the cheap Concord Grape wines from the supermarket. I am going to give it a try and if I make some wine that only I love maybe all of friends will not drink it all up. Been reading some of the notes about friends taking all of your wine!
Thanks for all of the help and information. Wish I lived close enough to you to stop by and taste your wine. Also love your logo and the labels that you have posted on the forum. You guys have really got me thinking about all of the great things I can do.
Time to cry
smiley19.gif
because Duke lost to Virginia Tech Saturday! I work at Duke and I am a true Blue Devil.Edited by: ScubaDon

If youve never tried Ice Wine. Most liquor stores sell it, its a little
pricey though. As far as sweet wines go I lime them to. Some other
forums would probably give you the cold shoulder on this though!

Wade,

By that, do you mean a squeese of lime in your glass of wine? I might have to try that. Ice wine has a place. I prefer the dry to off dry myself.

I guess it brings back memories of drinking Tokay that I tried when I was about 20 years old. Drank it around a campfire......Combine heat and sweet and abvand know what you've got??

It isn't pretty!!!!
smiley11.gif

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Back