G'day All, This is my first post, and I want to make it clear that, whilst I am going to post my method and recipe below I DO NOT advise you to follow it yourself because its not yet proven - I am very much a beginner. Rather, the purpose of my post is simply to invite critique and advice or just general comment. I am soaking up as much knowledge as I can and would love to hear what you folks have to say. OK, with that out the way - I took the plunge and began two batches of fruit wine over the weekend, Strawberry and Mint and Blackberry. Here is what I did. Strawberry&Mint: 1) I boiled 3.5 litres (0.92 Gal) of spring water and dissolved 800g (1.75 pounds) of white raw sugar. 2) After letting the water cool slightly I added it to the primary over the top of 1.5kg (3.3 pounds) of organic frozen strawberries (store bought), and two big handfuls of washed home grown mint leaves with stems removed. 2.5) Using a potato masher I did my best to crush all the fruit, it was not terribly effective. I sanitised my hands and used them which worked a lot better. 3) To this I then added 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient, 1 teaspoon citric acid, 1 gram of red tannin and a campden tablet. This was left to sit for 12 hours. 4) I then added 2g of pectinase and left for a further 24 hours. 5) I added 2.5g of wine yeast and sealed the primary with an airlock. 6) after 24 hours the must is foamy and when stirred sounds very slightly slightly effervescent, like stirring sparkling water. Blackberry: I followed the same recipe and method as above, however I did not add citric acid or tannin to the blackberries. The must looks and sounds very similar to the strawberry wine. However, my first lesson learnt came in checking the weather forecast for the week. The next 3 days are due to be hotter than usual (its well and truly coming into Summer here in Australia) and the temperature forecast between Mon-Wed is set to be 21(low) to 31(high) degrees Celsius. (or 69.8 - 87.8 degrees F) Damn. That was the first time it occurred to me that there are better times of the year to make wines, and now is probably a bit too hot. Nonetheless, both wines are in a dark, cool part of the house secured with an airlock and my quick temp measurements during the day did not see those areas as high temperature... the highest was about 74 degrees F. Thats ambient temp however so I'm interested in measuring the liquid temperature.. I've been thinking about a few ways I could track this. Anyways, its a first attempt so if the wines don't work out, at least I have learned some lessons. They both seem very happy at the moment but I am concerned they will ferment too quickly which will not result in a soft finish, which is what I was hoping for. I'll update this thread however and keep you posted! ---1st edit: - From my reading today, it seems that white and fruit wines prefer lower temperature fermentation. It sounds like I should freeze some of the fruits when they become available and make those wines in the cooler months, not make them at the beginning of Australian Summer :| - Also, although i DO have a hydrometer I was too excited at the time and forgot to take the SG reading before adding yeast. I also didn't test the PH. I've ordered a (budget) refractometer and also PH tester ($60 AUD total).