WineXpert New wine maker with a question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't quitlaughing!!!!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: rgecaprock

Wow, My wine sure has cleared up a ton. Going to post a new picture of it taken just a few minutes ago. It is8 days since 1st racking. I am off tomorrow and wanted to do step 3 which is rack it into the primary bucket,this time making sure to leave all of the lees behind.add sulphite - stir vigorously. add potassium sorbate and stir vigorously. add isinglassand stir vigorously for 5minutes, wait 15 minutes and stir again for 5 minutes. rack back into carboy, top off and replace bung with airlock and wait 7 days.
but
I only have C-Brite. After reading the forum topics I am afraid that I am not getting my equipment properly sterilized. I don't have any K-meta and the local wine store is closed tomorrow besides I don't know if he even sells it.

any ideas? up until reading this information I only used the C-Brite and had no worries. I used it for years when making beer without any problems. I didn't know that the C-brite was only a cleaner and not a sterilizer. I guess to much information is always not a good thing. I might just have to wait until I can get some K-meta.Edited by: ScubaDon

You dont have any campden tabs or sodium meta, or just enough to stabilize your wine!

Hey Wade,
I don't have any of these. My equipment kit only came with several packs of C-brite. My local wine store is really a beer store and I was never told that I would everneed anything like this. I just heard that there is another store in Chapel Hill that might be open tomorrow.

Thanks Anqell wine, If I can't find a store open I will try this.

I have a huge wish list on Finevinewines.com and telling all of my family to check it out and buy, buy, buy!

Don

Campden tabs are easy to use tablets of potassium-meta designed for one
per gallon. Sodium meta is another type of meta that is cheaper
for sanitizing but have heard that can impart an off flavor when used
to add to wine. It is a little stronger as a sanitizer I'm told.

you add them to the wine? why? I was talking about sanitizing the equipment i.e. primary, carboy, tubing etc.

You use them when stabilizing wine at the end with sorbate. You have to
crush the tablets 1st. When making fruit wine from fruit you add them
in the very beginning as you would add k-meta to eliminate any natural
yeasts. Then after 24 hrs you add the yeast. Sodium meta is the
same as potassium or (K) meta. just using sodium indtead of potassium.

OHMy kit came with the sulphite and potassium sorbate it just does not tell you what they are for

This wine is going to be very, very dry. and hints on sweeting? or should I?

If you like a sweeter wine you could make a sugar syrup by taking two
cups of sugar and 1 cup of boiling water and stir until thoroughly
mixed and SLOWLY add to your wine stirring well the whole time checking
very often to see if its to your taste. Do not over sweeten though
because youll have to add commercial wine back to it to unsweeten. When
you have reached the point at where it is to your taste, check the SG
with your hydrometer as this should be very close to where you will
want all your wines.

just finished step 3 whichwas rack into the primary bucket,this time making sure to leave all of the lees behind (didn't pick up any).add sulphite - stir vigorously. add potassium sorbate and stir vigorously. add isinglassand stir vigorously for 5minutes, wait 15 minutes and stir again for 5 minutes. rack back into carboy, top off and replace bung with airlock. This wentgreat, thanks to all of thetips and advicefrom everyone at FVW forum. I did put the lees in a jug and attached a ballon (didn't have another airlock), wanted to see if I could get another taste from it. By the way it tasted great. very dry but my wife liked it so I didn't back sweeten. The SG was .998 right where the instructions said it should be. It looks a lot like the last picture I posted without the lees on the bottom. I will take another and post it just before I bottle it in about 10 days. Now I have to start worring about bottles, lables etc. Is there any special protocol as to the color of wine bottles or is it just personal choice. Don't know if I should use green or clear. The wine is a Pinot Blanco

OH, really got tired of stirring. going to get one of those drill operated things!

Oh, yea, I told the wife today that I need a bunch more carboys and a few more primary buckets so I can get more batches going. The fact that she like the taste of the wine today didn't hurt.

Do you have the spigots on the primary buckets. I tell you they are
cheap, about 3 bucks and they are awesome. Wish that was the first
thing that I bought. You just have to drill a hole in the bucket to
mount them. Makes life so much easier!

Latest posts

Back