First timer kit and process questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadpupp

Reaction score
Hey all-

Got my first kit from George at FineVineWines along with a starter equipment package.

I watched the videos and followed the directions. I have a million questions!

I made the Grand Cru Heritage estates Cab Kit from RJ Spagnols. Starting SG was 1.080

The instructions say to "rinse well" after cleaning and sanitizing. Is this with tap water? It seems like if I rinsed and brushed with the cleaner and then set my tools (hydrometer, spoon, wine theif, thermometer) inside the fermentation bucket with K-Meta for ten minutes, that rinsing with water would only contaminate.

Should I wipe down with a rag from my "box o rags"? Just leave the trace amounts of K meta?

The kit says to use a "mild sulphite solution" in my airlock. I used vodka because I have seen others do this. Is this ok? what is the ratio for "mild sulphite solution"?

Cleaning and sanitizing.

I cleaned the wine theif and hydrometer and spoon but they are sitting out in a small bucket. Before stirring or testing can I just spray with K-meta solution, shake off and stir/test?

What do you all store your tools in to keep them clean? Do you put them them in a sealed bin or bucket and douse with K meta and let the fumes do their work?

Temperatures.
My basement workshop is 64 degrees. I have a brew belt on the bucket and it seems to be keeping the temp at 79 degrees. (left the floating thermometer in).

The directions don't say anyting about regular stirring during primary. Should I? (I did tonight on day 2)

The second stage says to leave the carboy at 59-66 degrees. It seems I will be fine for this stage. Should I put the brew belt on the day before I degass and add the other chemicals? I understand the degassing works better closer to 80 degrees.

Storage. The instructions say to bottle at 28 days. I know most folks bulk age. What is the downside to bulk aging in this case? The upside?

My basement is 64 degrees and I don't have a wine cellar (yet). For a year or so of bottle storage will I cook the bottled wine at this temp? Long term I have plans to build a closet with a temperature control. Is it critical that I get a small wine fridge in the short term?

Racking-
The directions say to rack off to a carboy and leave the lees. Can I assume that most of the sludge below the spigot hole is lees?

When I get ready to bottle it says to rack back into the primary bucket. Won't this oxygenate my wine? Don't most of you siphon from a carboy into your bottles?

I think that is all for now. I really appreciate the help! This board is great.

Roadpupp

roadpup I hope you rinsed out the Sani brew well with hot water before starting the mix. Your starting SG is good. You do not need to stir the primary just relax and enjoy the show. There should be a fizzing sound coming off the surface of the wine and a aroma associated with ferment. If that is going on you are good to go. When you get to day fourteen then you do a clearing when that time comes post and we will help you through that process. Putting on a brew belt is a good thing your temperatures will be correct for the ferment and clearing. Welcome to a great hobby and a super fun experience with benefits.:br

Thanks RJB for the reply.

I didn't rinse it but I wiped it down really well with a sanitary napkin (you know what I mean!). The fermentation is going full steam now so I think I am safe.

Anyone else have any ideas on my other questions?

Thanks

Roadpupp sounds like you have been reading up and you are fine. I think we all had those questions ourselves but this forum is an awesome resource and seems that you have been using it.

I store my tools in the kitchen cabinet. Nothing special. I give them a quick k meta rinse before and after use and wipe with a paper towel. Sometimes even just rinse with water ans wipe with paper towel. Have never had any contamination issues.

Follow directions for temperatures as best you can. Yes degassing at higher temps is helpful. you will get others that say different but I am in favor of stirring in the primary. I think it helps give off co2 plus you get to play with the wine a little which is one little pleasure of the process since most of the time is spent waiting.

I have bottled from carboy and from bucket both. Bottling from carboy is tricky unless you have racked at least a couple of times to get it off the sediment. You can easily transfer to a bucket and then bottle from there without help. If you do it all in one sitting and pretty quick you won't be in too much trouble of oxidizing.

Storing wine at 64 is fine. It will age slightly quicker but not much. If you are anything like me most of your wine won't sit on the shelf long enough to tell the difference.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. You are well on your way to making lots of great wine!

Hobbyiswine

Thanks so much!
I have a long flat Rubbermaid bin and after washing spoons and thief and hydrometer etc, I keep them in there with a small bowl of k meta. I know the k meta only lasts a few days or so but I add a few oz whenever I use the tools and there is always a strong sulfur smell so I think I'm doing ok.

This forum is great

Unless you plan to keep a sulfite solution around in a 1/2 gal or gal bottle, vodka is easier to use for your airlock and works just as well. You can certainly keep doing that!

Hobbyiswine

Thanks so much!
I have a long flat Rubbermaid bin and after washing spoons and thief and hydrometer etc, I keep them in there with a small bowl of k meta. I know the k meta only lasts a few days or so but I add a few oz whenever I use the tools and there is always a strong sulfur smell so I think I'm doing ok.

This forum is great

That is a good way to keep them sanatized. Just remember don't put your metel tools in there. THe k-meta will probably attack them. Arne.

Latest posts

Back