New Brew System Ordered

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I finally broke down and ordered me a new brew system. I ordered a Sabco Brew Magic. I have been wanting an automated RIMS or HERMS system for a while and was going to build my own. After I figured the cost of buying all the tools, equipment, supplies and added the value of my time, and add the expense I would have to hire out like electronics, I would of been close to what a commercial unit cost with less functionality. Sabco and B3 both make great systems. I had been leaning toward RIMS if I made my own systems and Sabco had free shipping when I ordered which saved a huge chunk of change. HMM, maybe I should of just bought a new sports car to satisfy my midlife crisis urges.
smiley36.gif

Sabco.jpg

Color me jealous! I've been drooling over brew stands for a little while now, but I won't be able to afford one for quite some time unfortunately.

So did you end up withthe RIMS orthe HERMS system? RIMS uses direct heat on the mash tun and HERMS uses the heat exchanger in the HLT right?

I noticed there are casters on all four legs. Do they lock?

Very nice setup smurfe...........

Call me when the pub opens
smiley1.gif

That's pretty nice setup . Now all you need is the moonshineoption.
smiley4.gif

And I thought I was a big spender today when I bought a new 7.8 gallon plastic primary bucket!! I can just picture you and your friends brewing on a nice spring day and as you are all done cleaning up your wife comes and says the crawfish boil is ready to eat!! Now that sounds like a good time!!

That is sweet Smurf, now you are hooked up! Are you going to craiglist your old set up?What size pots do have for your old set up?

Travisty said:
Color me jealous! I've been drooling over brew stands for a little while now, but I won't be able to afford one for quite some time unfortunately.

So did you end up withthe RIMS orthe HERMS system? RIMS uses direct heat on the mash tun and HERMS uses the heat exchanger in the HLT right?

I noticed there are casters on all four legs. Do they lock?

You are correct on the types of systems. The RIMS has the wort circulate through an element that keeps the temps consistent. The HERMS system will circulate the wort through a coil in the Hot Liquor Tank to keep temps consistent. There is pro's and con's of both systems. Many feel you chance caramelizing of the wort with a RIMS system but with my research, the construction and quality of the unit makes the difference. I find the RIMS systems more consistent with the way I want to brew. In regards to the casters, yes two of them lock just like a roll around tool box.

Frank&Rita said:
And I thought I was a big spender today when I bought a new 7.8 gallon plastic primary bucket!! I can just picture you and your friends brewing on a nice spring day and as you are all done cleaning up your wife comes and says the crawfish boil is ready to eat!! Now that sounds like a good time!!

I hear ya Frank. I saved a long, long time to buy this. It wasn't an easy decision. Well, I lie, it was an easy decision, just hard to write the check.

And since you mention it, Crawfish season is right around the corner. A few places around are starting to get them in. It has been so cold though I am surprised there are any yet. You should see some boil pics real soon though. And BTW, I just got me another new plastic fermenter bucket the other day as well.
smiley2.gif

wade said:
That is sweet Smurf, now you are hooked up! Are you going to craiglist your old set up?What size pots do have for your old set up?

I don't know what I will do with the old stuff yet. I actually have a couple of cooler set up systems. I have a nice Igloo Cooler set up with a mash tun with a stainless false bottom and another cooler for the HLT. Each have thermometers installed and it has a fly sparge set up. I have a boil kettle that is a converted keg like the new system has. I have another converted keg that is a HLT. I also have an 8 gallon stainless brew pot. I also have a 60 qt cooler that is converted to a mash tun. I guess I could throw them on Craigslist to see what I might get for them.

Now there is a couple boys with their toys ready to play! Man do you look happy! I wonder why. LOL

Here's wishing you many kegs of happiness.

Back