New Brew System Ordered

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a fellow all-grainer. WOW !

How many gallons you gonna make this year..?

I tell you what. People retort how much these things cost but you just can't believe the detail and quality workmanship put into these systems. I was really amazed when I saw it in the "flesh". The welds are every one perfect, not a scratch or scuff. Everything fit perfectly together. There is a lot more hours in construction than one might think.

I am not sure whatwe am going to brew first. Probably an English Bitter that is close to a Boddingtons. The other guy in the pichas all the supplies for that. My first batch for me will probably be an Orange/Coriander American Pale Ale. I will have to head to the brew shop for about a pound of hops for that one as well as a few specialty grains.I have a couple sacks of base grain already.I may lean toward brewing the Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA though in honor of that brewery. This is the system they started their brewery on. I have the recipe so I may go that route.

It will be next week before I will have time to do a real brew though. have to learn the functions and work around work schedule and refresher classes I am in right now on my days off. I have to go to class tomorrow and we are going to the Beer Wars documentarytomorrow night. Work Fri-Sun. Then Monday learn the system and hopefully brew.

Very nice setup Smurfe, we should be neighbors!! You ever thought about moving north?
smiley14.gif

LOL well I am from the north as a neighbor to you. I am from Central Illinois but have absolutely no desire to move back there. Now Wisconsin, I would consider that. Upstate New York I would consider that as well. I like the cold, woods, hills and good fly fishing for trout.

Orange/Coriander APA sounds very interesting. Have you ever made that recipe before? Sounds refreshing!

The DFH 60 minute is a tasty beer for sure. We can't get it here in Nebraska yet which seems to make it that much more tasty when I do get it.
smiley4.gif

Travisty said:
Orange/Coriander APA sounds very interesting. Have you ever made that recipe before? Sounds refreshing!

The DFH 60 minute is a tasty beer for sure. We can't get it here in Nebraska yet which seems to make it that much more tasty when I do get it.
smiley4.gif

It is fantastic! Here is where I got the recipe from. I have tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes but it generally the same as this recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/cascades-orange-pale-ale-84558/

In regards to the Dogfish Head, I can't get it local yet either. I can get it in Pensacola Fl. and always pick it up when we are over that way.

Smurfe, please move north to Wisconsin. We really, really like beer. The odd brat never hurts either.
smiley36.gif

Scott said:
You ever thought about moving north?
smiley14.gif
I vote east towards northern Florida
smiley36.gif
! What a setup though, and here I am debating what I want to try for my very first beer brew....

Well let me know what you are thinking of trying and I will help you out how ever I can.
smiley32.gif

Smurfe, one word - WOW! That is one impressive looking system!!!

You need to get alab coat, glovesand gogglesand everyone will think your a mad scientist down out there.
smiley36.gif

Very nice system Smurfe! You must let us know how it all works out for you. I'd like detailed pics of the process, or if you can, video would be good too. One day, I hope to get something like that, but that's a long way off.

Smurfe ain't going no where..... Once you move down here and get your hands on all the fresh ingredients and seafood..... Its very hard to leave.

gaudet said:
Smurfe ain't going no where..... Once you move down here and get your hands on all the fresh ingredients and seafood..... Its very hard to leave.

Well, the great ingredients and seafood is indeed great but it wouldn't be that hard to leave the humidity, bugs, snakes etc. I do miss the four seasons and snow.

smurfe said:
gaudet said:

Well, the great ingredients and seafood is indeed great but it wouldn't be that hard to leave the humidity, bugs, snakes etc. I do miss the four seasons and snow.

We got snow Dec 10th, That's enough.....far as the snakes, bugs, and humidity.... Well not much I can say about that except make more beer
smiley36.gif

smurfe said:
Well let me know what you are thinking of trying and I will help you out how ever I can.
smiley32.gif
I'llprobably take you up on that! I'd like to eventually try something fancy like a russian imperial stout or a belgianstyle ale or something, kinda shooting for the stars right away I know. But I'm thinking that starting off with something simpler would be the more intelligent choice
smiley36.gif
(like DME as opposed to all-grain), over this summer I'll look into it more...

You can make those styles with some extract and steeping grains and the proper yeast. Will be no problem. When your ready, fire away with the questions.

Well, just got done with my first brew on the new system. It was great. Everything went more than perfect. I am very happy. Brewed an English Bitter reminiscent of a Boddingtons. Took about 3.5 hours from start to clean up. The wort was crystal clear and the Chill Wizard was amazing. 6 Gallons of wort from boiling to 60 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

Nice! 5 minute chill is awesome. How does the Chill Wizard work? Is it an immersion style chiller or a counterflow?

The Chill Wizard is a plate chiller. It is a Therminator and March pump mounted on a stand and plumbed all together with flow valves and an O2 injection port. Pretty nifty little item.

Back