Greetings from Oregon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregondabbler

Reaction score
Greetings from a new member!

Allow me to introduce myself

I have some brewing and winemaking experience but nothing as deep as the many helpful people here. I've already poked around a bit in this site and am impressed with how helpful members of this site can be. I've registered my vineyard (Big Barn Vineyard) with this site http://www.winemakingtalk.com/vineyards-wineries/big-barn-vineyard-110.html

About me: Graduated a long time ago with a degree in Biochemistry. Loved the major but did not want to work in the industry (I did not want to osterize rat brains for a living). So, went off to have a career in the electronics industry -- go figure. Now retired.

In 1996, I moved to Oregon, Benton County, about 2 hrs south of Portland and stumbled on a property that had an established (1/2 acre) vineyard. Actually, my mother in law found it and encouraged us to go see it. Thanks Mom! We've been here ever since.

About my experience making wine: The first four years in my vineyard were educational but not productive. I needed to learn how, when and what to spray. I needed to install drip irrigation and after all that, the birds came in and scooped up my grapes before I got them. Bird netting solved that problem on the following year and I was finally making wine from my vineyard. Several years of good harvests followed. I made good wine but I just didn't have the time to get my system right.

In 2005, demands at work, home and other interests caused me to put my winemaking efforts on the shelf and I kept the vineyard just barely going for the next 8 years.

But now I have the time and this season got the vineyard up and running again.

This weekend, with the help of a number of friends and family, we picked off about 400-600 pounds of Marshal Foch and I have the must going through alcoholic fermentation now. It looks like there are another 600 pounds of grapes remaining to be picked but I'm holding off to let them ripen a bit more.

So that's where I am right now.

Some of the things that I'm interested in and can bring to this forum are:

- I have good lab skills and am interested in helping people through problems with testing and instrumentation
- Developments in organic pest control. Specifically control of powdery mildew. I'm not an expert in this but this will be an area of focus for me and I'll share what I learn.

Some of the things that I will be seeking advice on are:

Phyloxera resistant grape varieties -- what do people like that can be grown own-rooted not grafted.

Building soil and amending it using organic methods.

Organic control of Himalaya blackberries

Sheesh, I talk too much. Sorry about that. But I am enthusisatic about this site!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Very well written intro...

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to some of your organic vineyard experience and lab knowledge.

Welcome to the forum! I spent this summer in Corvallis OR and I loved it. Plus, you are incredibly fortunate to be in the middle of pinot country and in wine country in general.

Dabbler my fermenting trough!

Welcome none the less, which is different than none the lees. Sounds like you have plenty of lees.

We are glad to have you and I look forward to hearing about your trials and victories.

Good luck and keep us posted on your latest efforts!

Best, Fran

Oregondabbler
Welcome to the forum. Glad to read that you are retired and moving into your next phase of your life.I have been retired for some years now so I am very happy for you. I am still a beginner(late bloomer) but the people on this forum and very friendly and helpful.

Corinth

Latest posts

Back