Need Member Photos!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Wade. The bottles are a bunch of ragtag, hodgepodge returns and leftovers but the labels managed to spruce them up a bit!

JoJo, this is why I thought I was looking at my peach!Looks familiar, doesn't it?
smiley1.gif

20060916_150908_Peach_2nd_racki.jpg

The gallon jugs are a week behind the big one. The color difference amazes me.

I went crazy and racked the elderberry too but I don't have the strength to take pictures! My fingers are pruney from all the washing and sanitizing!
smiley4.gif

HAHAHA! That's really funny! When I was cropping the photo I thought, dang that wallpaper is ooooold!

Hehe I thought it looked like something you should fill your bathtub with and soak in to have softer skin. =)

Okay, I'm going to try to post a picture of myself up here. My name is Patrick. I live near Athens, GA. I'm not currently making wine, but do enjoy drinking it. My dad was into making wine for a while, so I'm going to see what I can pilfer from him, as far as picking up some vinting equipment. In the mean time, I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks and think you guys are a very kind and supportive bunch. I'm sure when I get around to making my own wine I'll be looking to you for advice. I drink the wine-snob wines right now (i.e. Cabernet Sauvingon), but am looking forward to making fruit wines and other grape wines. One of my friends mentioned that she really enjoyed a Muscadine wine she tried, and, of course, I had read all about Muscadine here so I knew what she was talking about. Anyway, I'm 37, divorced, and a single parent. I'm going to grad school starting next fall. So there's a little about me. Thanks, and I look forward to foruming with y'all (as I've learned to say since I moved to GA 3 months ago).

20061015_211844_untitled_image.jpg

Welcome aboard, Patrick!

Is that you on the bike? And, when you're talking to your Dad about that equipment, make sure you get some of his tips, too! What a great way to start!
smiley2.gif

Welcome aboard Patrick. Do let us know when your ready to start and
dont be shy to read alot before you start and ask as many questions as
you need, even the ones that dont pertain do what you are doing. Its
good to know thw answer before you nned it. Wade

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. That is me on the bike in the picture.

20061017_032300_untitled_image.jpg

This is from a sprint distance triathalon in which I participated. Actually, the only one so far. I'd be interested in doing more, but just for fun. In this one we swam 400m, biked 14 miles, and ran 5k. I finished in just under an hour and 45 minutes. That was good for a bottom five performance in my age group (30-39). It was fun, though. Too much training beer, I think.
smiley2.gif

Patrick Edited by: PatrickRB

Welcome Patrick,
I used to ride (both road and mountain) quite a bit. It was a great feeling!! Then I got bit by a tick in my yard, caught Lyme disease, and got arthritis pretty bad. A week before my wedding (6 years ago), I couldn't walk.
smiley19.gif
It was a very bad feeling as a month before I was riding 100 miles a week on the road and mountain biking in Colorado and Utah. I'm doing much better now thanks to a miracle drug, but I am not in the same shape I was. Golf is more my "sport" now. Biking is more of a way of keeping my blood pressure low.

If you learn any good tips/recipes from you father, please share!!

-Scott

Patrick, after all that swimming, biking, and sprinting, youll have to rack, stabilize, and bottle. Now thats a workout!

You know, as energizing and exhausting (oxymoron, anyone?) as all that training can be, it doesn't really touch my creative side. I imagine racking, stabilizing and bottling can both be energizing and exhausting work, but I suspect that making wine will touch more of the inspirational side of me. Riding a bike is great fun, but that's as far as it goes. Creating a wine that I and other people enjoy would go beyond that to maybe even border on the artistic. I think it would be a great outlet for my creative side.

And Scott, my mother has pretty much gone through the same thing. She contracted Lyme's Disease (the Dr.'s suspect) and now has bad arthritis. In fact she's having knee replacement surgery later this month. Glad to hear you're doing better. If you wouldn't mind mentioning the name of the miracle drug, I could pass it along. (If it would make it better, you could PM it to me.) I don't bike as much as I like, but I do some road riding and occaisional moutain biking. I also have a touring bike and am looking forward to doing some weekend camping stuff. I'm a bike junkie and would love to get a tandem to ride with my daughter (she's 12).

I'll see what my dad has to say about his wine making. A while back he told me how he used Welch's frozen concentrate, and I just couldn't imagine it making good wine, but the word on the street (you know, this forum) is that it does pretty well. And if Welch's Concord concentrate can turn into good wine, then there are all sorts of possibilities that I would like to play with.

PatrickEdited by: PatrickRB

Welcome Patrick,

You will find some pretty impressive folk here in this forum. I have come to rely on them for all my wine making needs. So far, I've had nothing but good advice and encouragement.

Pat

Indeed Patrick you wll succeed at winemaking because you already percieve it as being an art so as you unwrap your bundle of brushes ( Stirring spoons, Racking canes, siphon hoses) and begin laying out the colors ( Fruits, Plants, Grains) onto your pallette (Primary Fermenter) and you blend them together, using the mediums (chemicals) that best enhance their appication onto your canvas (Carboys) Your heart as much as anything leading and guiding your every stroke until the painting (Wine) is completed (Bottled)

Back