Need Member Photos!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, here ya go - Big Bend, 2003

20060829_174554_DavisMntnsLoop2.JPG

Northern Winos said:
I also grew up near Edmonton and everyone seemed to be Ukrainian/Russian, except for us Frenchies...I am half German speaking Russian...they stressed the German speaking part for some reason..they were from Russia, Odessa, but when the borders changed it was Ukraine...
Ate lots of Ukrainian foods at friends houses and remember the leftover Christmas foods...one of them seemed like it had never been touched through many leftover dinners during that season...can't remember for sure, maybe a head cheese...but loved the little potato ravioli things..like Put-a-he..?..and the Kielbasa, and others...but it seems at our house I grew up on cabbage rolls, borscht and struddle...nothing as good as homemade apple studdle...yum!!!
Different foods for different areas, around here there many Norwegian people and the 'Hot Dish' is the norm....
smiley1.gif

LOL, you definately have been in a Ukrainian community if you know "Put-a-he". That is a very Uke word for Perogy. Thats also a very close phonetic spelling for it. The head cheese thing was probably called "studinatz" and it is jellied pork hocks. Again very tasty stuff.

Wow, it sure is a small world we live in!

Yes, I come from the land of the golden onion church steeples....
Long after I left my hometown they built a giant Pysanka in the park, many of my cousins helped build it...really pretty..
Memberjcnorenis from Edmonton too...
Yes, it is a small world....I first wrote to the Polish Wine Princess in a Fourm from England...
So we all get around...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Dean: the name Kutya is also a Hungarian word translated as dog... My wife is a Hunky, so that is where I picked it up. I am very Norski.. Watching FARGO is sort of like a family reunion... We do eat lots of Hungarian foods. Trashy... Nice bike, and Northern... sounds like you have been all over.

Kutya,

I too, have Hungarian heritage. My grandparents came directly form Budapest. I didn't know them though, they died before I was born. My mom knew more Hungarian than she let on I think. I would have loved to have been more exposed to it. Our family reunions were fun though....all the good food, beer, Aunt Mary's recipe and polka music!!!
Ramona

The cabbage rolls, perogy, cabbage and noodles and the pastries are awsome.
smiley20.gif
Edited by: rgecaprock

Sure is a small world. My uncle came from the Ukraine (during the war he went to the west). He made the best borscht.

:)

As for all the goodies you've been talking about. My mouth is watering! My mama makes those things all the time. Talk about good food!

My hubby originally comes from Poland, around the Breslau area. He and his family got allowance to move to the west (Germany) when he was 3ish. His mom is polish, so it's a great treat when we go over and eat.
smiley2.gif
The fat in the pan is about 1/2 inch thick, then the sauce is made, you put it over the schnitzel and potatoes, and dump the veggies soaked in (real) butter on the plate.

Don't forget, for desert: Palaschinka (or however you spell it)..... OMG. I think I'm going to have to make a trip to Germany to get that again!

M.

Dean... This sounds Great!!!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="50%">
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD width="50%" ="#eeeeee">Description</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>Kutya is a symbol of fertility and abundance on Russian table. It is usually made on Easter and Christmas.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD width="50%">
0.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD ="#eeeeee">Method</TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD>Dry wheat in 250 F degree oven for 1hr. stirrring occasionaly. Rinse, soak overnight in cold water. Disolve honey in 3/4 cup very hot water. Bring wheat to a boil, simmer for 3-4 hrs., until the wheat kernels burst. Simmer poppy seeds for 3-5 min., drain, grind in mortar with pestle and set aside. After ingredients are cool, combine in a bowl, add the chopped apples. Serve chilled as this will not keep well at room temp. Store in refirgerator for up to 2
days if needed. Options: You may add raisins(1/3 c), dried peaches chopped (1/3c), or other dried fruit such as dreid chopped-cherries (1/3c).
Dr. Donald Houston's collection ORIGIN: Ludmila Blizniuk,
Kherson-Ukraine </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD>
<TD width=8>
0.gif

</TD>
<TD width="50%">
<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD ="#eeeeee">Ingredients</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<LI>2 c Wheat kernels.
<LI>3 qt Water.
<LI>1 c Poppy seeds.
<LI>1/2 c Chopped walnuts.
<LI>1 ea Apple peeled, cubed 1/4".
<LI>1/3 c Honey.
<LI>1 c Sugar.</LI></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>Edited by: rgecaprock

Kutya, the potato ravioli things are varhiniky and meat ones are puhlminy. My wife is russian, although she hasn't made any for a while. It is starting to get pretty cool here at night so that means borscht time is almost here!
smiley4.gif

Pete

Ramona, love your definition of the word Kutya... My father in law is from the old country, and is quite a cook. What I am really partial to is Hungarian brandy... There are also a couple of hungarian wines one called Bull's Blood, and one called Nemes Winery. They are pretty cheap, but rather tasty. Look for them in your local wine stores...

Pete, I hate Borscht.......

kutya,
I've had the Egri Bikaver, a very rich wine, thick...hence Bull's Blood. I will wait until the weather gets cool here and that one will be a good one to warm up with. My husband works in a liquor/wine store so he will know about the Nemes. I will have to try that!!
RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Steve,

I guess the lower humidity we woke up to yesterday kind of threw me off. I actually got a hint of fall for a second. Got me to thinking about things like hot tea, red wine, pumpkin pie, etc.

Ramona

It's been in the low 90's around here, With six guys on the crew we go through around 8 gallons ofwater in a 10 hr work day, we're down to 4 gallons now. What a difference 15 deg's make.

I joined this forum about a month ago and suppose I should formally introduce myself. My name is Robert. I've been making wine and beer for 11 years as a way to blow off steam from my law practice.I appreciate all the advice and tips I've gained from all of you.

20060906_101652_0245.jpg

P.S., OK, OK. I don't ride a Harley, Ann Margaret's not my girlfriend and I don't look a bit like Joe Namath. However, I might ask Suzy Kolber to kiss me while on national television if I've had a few bottles of wine, so perhaps Joe is not an inaccurate image to post. I couldn't find a photo on my work pc, so this will have to do until I get home tonight. Edited by: dfwwino

Robert.

You must have lots of experience to share with us!! What got you started? What wines have you made? What else do you like to do?

Welcome to a great forum!!

Ramona

BTW.....we share the same birthday!

Vaughn said:

Hey, put a bow tie and a top hat on him, and he becomes...

Genewilder.jpg

Welcome to the forum...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Vaughn. What's funny is that20 years ago, when I had a moustache and was much younger, folks used to think I was:
20060906_213537_Goose.bmp

To go from Goose to Willie Wonka just shows what happens when a wine is left aging too long and goes over-the-hill. By the way Vaughn, I spend a lot of time in Useless where you live. Just look for my top hat and bow tie.

Edited by: dfwwino

Ramona,

Thanks for the welcome. I guess I won't forget your birthday. I started winemaking and beermaking because of a lifelong passion for good wine and beer. I was raised in Los Angeles, but from age 16 onward, I spent parts of every summer in Napa wine tasting (this is before MADD). I also had the good fortune to spend a year of my college in Heidelberg, Germany, where I spent most of my time consuming great German beer and German and French wines. When I returned, I could not drink a Bud. In 1995, I discovered homebrewing on the Internet. I joined a local home brew club and a winemaking club. I hadthe privilege to learn my initial winemaking from a French-Canadian winemaker who founded the winemaking club. Hewas a chemist, made outstanding wines and was a judge for competitions like American Wine Society's. Unfortunately for us, he moved to Northern Californiato start a winery in 1997, but in the days before winemaking forums, Winemaker Magazine and books by Pambianchi and Iverson, he was a great help.When I started, my winemaking books were Stanley and Dorothy Anderson's winemaking recipe book and CJJ Berry's First Steps. These books are great for a new winemaker, but unfortunately don't provide the detailed nuts and bolts. Things have certainly improved.I've made most of my wine from traditional French wine grape varietals, mainly from fresh grapes, as well as fruit wines such as Peach, Apple, Plum, Blackberry, Blueberry, Orange, etc. Aside from winemaking, I like beer, baseball, football, scuba diving and traveling.

Latest posts

Back