Mosti Mondiale MM Impressions Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I have a birthday coming up and received the "go ahead" to get a new kit. Maybe I'll just get two (she'll never know). Anyhow, I'm thinking about the Mosti Mondiale Impressions Barolo. What can I expect in a Barolo. I do like the drier red wines. Opinions?

It is a bog tannic fruit bomb typically best paired with a pasta or red meats. Since its made from Nebbiolo grapes it will be very dark in color and have big tannins so will need good aging. I have this same kit finishing fermentation as we speak. Mine came with a raisin pack also and both that and the grape pack went in.

Wade, Glad to hear you used the grape pack & raisin pack. My Barolo has been in the fermentor 3 days now with BOTH packs. Instructions say to use only one, but WHY waste those raisins. BTW, tasted the raisins & they were the best we ever tasted! It will be hard to wait 2 years for this one, Roy

Flem, yes it will be dry like that but bigger tannins hence why a wine like this needs more aging time. Well worth it in the end. If this wine is 1/2 as good as the Meglioli kit is I will be very happy!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback, Wade. I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

Flem, I am right there with you. I could not decide between the Amarone and Barolo so I ordered both. They are currently out of stock so I don't expect them until January.

I knew the Barolo was out of stock, but I want to order it while the sale is still on. I still want a bottle of your Amarone!! LOL

You guys talked me into it, I just ordered a Barolo as well.

Am I going to need more than my 7.9g primary for this thing? I'm leaning towards "breaking the rules" and going raisins & allgrape.

I believe Wade did his in a 7.9 gallon primary. He should chime in here to verify that. I have a 10 gallon in case that's not big enough.

I didnt have a problem with both the raisin and grape pack in the 7.9 but must say it was close.

Last edited:
Flem, I did my Barolo in my 6 gal. fermenter which probably holds 7 gals to the brim. I used both the raisins & grape pack. Just did the first rack tonight, according to instructions, [4 days SG 1.042], into a 6 gallon carboy. Couldn't siphon like they say, this kit is way too thick, so I put a straining bag in an empty 6 gal. bucket & poured the must from the primary into the straining bag. Then racked off that bucket into the carboy, & squeezed the heck out of the raisins & grapes in the bag. Having that extra bucket was a blessing. FYI the starting SG was very high, 1.116, with NOTHING added. Roy

I would be very careful and probably remove some of that and put it into a 1 gallon jug. Ive heard too many stories about it erupting out of the carboy at this point. Its way too volatile at this stage to be full in a carboy. I and many people dont follow these instructions. I actually follow the old RJS instructions with all of my wines and ferment dry in the primary.

Thanks for the "heads up" Roy. Like Wade said, I'd be a little hesitant about moving it to a carboy at 1.042. I have heard (from Rocky) that the ABV was going to be pretty high with a Barolo. With a starting SG of 1.116 that pretty much verifies it; especially if it finishes in the mid .9's

a typical Itilian Borolo is not released for at least 7 to 10 years from time of picking, most are relased around the 10 to 15 year time... Love a great aged wine and a Borolo is it. Be patient with it, it will improve with age.:ib

Dougxox, I think that was true in the distant past but in the last 30 years or so, they have taken a more modern approach and the wines are released much earlier. I was in Italy in 2008 and we were drinking Barolo's from 2002 to 2005. They were available and for sale at wine stores and restaurants. There is still a raging battle between the modernists and traditionalist, but through more up to date growing and winemaking methods, the process has been shortened. I am sure I will not have mine anywhere near 10 years. By that time, I would be drinking it with my pablum!

Well I did put it ALL in my new $30 6 gal. carboy. Left 4 " of air space, mostly all neck. 12 hrs. later [now] it' s fermenting rapidly but staying in the carboy! No foam. The oak is floating & the bubbles are coming up thru the oak, keeping it suspended. Looks a little different, but it's working. Roy PS I'll post if there is an explosion!

Roy, did you have any left over to top off with down the road??

I bought a "cheap" Barolo to "try" over the Holidays. It was $25.00. I hope not to have to top off too often.

Latest posts

Back