WineXpert Fixing pH!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayTee

Junior
Reaction score
Hi! I would like some expert advice! I am new to wine-making so using kits to get myself started! I've been using Wine Expert wine kits -- Cabernet Sauv, mostly. Each kits tests with a primary fermentation starting pH of around 3.72. Tested after stirred! The pH decreases throughout the fermentation and typically at bottling the pH is somewhere around 3.59 with one going as low a 3.39.

The taste at bottling has an acidic note finish at the end. I just started this process in September of last year, so my oldest bottled wine is coming up on 9 - 10 months.

We tried a bottle of the oldest wine recently and it still has the acidic note finish at the end.

We are getting ready to rack two carboys just completing primary fermentation. The pH of one is 3.39 and the other is 3.45. Which, seems to be in the expected range.

I was debating about whether I should experiment with adding potassium bicarbonate to one or both and see if that changes the acidic notes!

Or.....should I be more patient and just see how the wine ages over the next year or so?!

Or, anything else I should be considering? I am diligent with prepping/cleaning and sanitizing in each step of the process so I doubt I am introducing harmful bacteria.

I have a few initial thoughts:

1) are you reconstituting to 23 liters? It's common to short the water to "make a better wine", but with good quality kits you're more likely to push the wine out of balance. Shorting the water increases the acid level and make the wine sharp.

2) my experience is that reducing the acid chemically introduces off flavors, including a metallic aftertaste. IMO this is a last resort.

3) the wine is only 10 months old, so it's young. Patience, Grasshopper. Give the wine a few more months.

4) it's possible you are more sensitive to acid than most, so the wine is simply sharp to you. This point doesn't help you fix the wine, but it raises an important point.

5) I'd rather backsweeten than chemically reduce the acid. A tiny amount of sugar may make the wine more palatable while not making it sweet.

I have a few initial thoughts:

1) are you reconstituting to 23 liters? It's common to short the water to "make a better wine", but with good quality kits you're more likely to push the wine out of balance. Shorting the water increases the acid level and make the wine sharp.

2) my experience is that reducing the acid chemically introduces off flavors, including a metallic aftertaste. IMO this is a last resort.

3) the wine is only 10 months old, so it's young. Patience, Grasshopper. Give the wine a few more months.

4) it's possible you are more sensitive to acid than most, so the wine is simply sharp to you. This point doesn't help you fix the wine, but it raises an important point.

5) I'd rather backsweeten than chemically reduce the acid. A tiny amount of sugar may make the wine more palatable while not making it sweet.
Thank you very much! Helpful. I am reconstituting up to 23 liters....at least it appears to me that I am. I will pay very close attention to that point when making the next kit.

Thank you very much! Helpful. I am reconstituting up to 23 liters....at least it appears to me that I am. I will pay very close attention to that point when making the next kit.
If the bottled wines don't have a spritz to them when uncorked, then excess CO2 is not the problem, although David's point is one to consider.

Something to try -- next time you open a bottle that tastes acidic to you, add 2 drops of honey (or similar sweetener), stir well, and then try it. A tiny amount of sugar can balance the acid.

Latest posts

Back