Mosti Mondiale MM Impressions Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt need topping up. Rocky, mine was very close also but it fermented nice and slow despite keeping the temp at 73*. I checked twice a day for the first 5 days in the morning and after work and everyday I was expecting a big mess but it never happened. Im happy to say I now have a 10 gallon fermenter so next time I wont have to be living on the edge!

Wade, I have a ten gallon fermenter but the lid does not fit tightly on it. Does someone make one like the 7.9 gallon jobs with a lid that snaps down? Looking back, I think I am going to wish I had used the 10 gallon for the primary fermentation, at least. My level is about 1" from the very top of the fermenter. Is that what you had? That is one huge bag of skins and raisins!

I started my Castel de Papa today and I'm an inch from the top WITHOUT grapes! Aren't those rubbermade trash cans food grade? I was wondering if you can use those as a primary fermenter.

The "Brute" ones are. If you could find a 10G sized Brute at a big box store (with lid) you should be good to go.

Wade, I have a ten gallon fermenter but the lid does not fit tightly on it. Does someone make one like the 7.9 gallon jobs with a lid that snaps down? Looking back, I think I am going to wish I had used the 10 gallon for the primary fermentation, at least. My level is about 1" from the very top of the fermenter. Is that what you had? That is one huge bag of skins and raisins!

On a primary fermenter, you really don't want/need a lid that snaps down tight. You need it to breath for the yeast. I use a sheet of cheese cloth over mine during the primary.

When using a trash can for a primary, check the PETE number in the triple arrows, it should be a 1 or a 2.

Last edited:
Thanks, BAWS. I sometimes ferment to dry in the primary so I need one with a lid that snaps down and is air tight with an airlock. I have a special problem. I have about 8 gallons of an overly sweet wine that I plan to hit with a special encapsulated yeast in order to re-start fermentation. It is sitting at SG 1.030 right now. I think I am going to load it into my 10 gallon fermenter and add the yeast to it. Hopefully, there will be enough gas coming out that I don't need the tight fitting top.

The "Brute" ones are. If you could find a 10G sized Brute at a big box store (with lid) you should be good to go.

Good to know Mike, thanks. I looked at the bottom of one and I thought it said food grade but there were other codes to confuse the issue :)

I started my Castel de Papa today and I'm an inch from the top WITHOUT grapes! Aren't those rubbermade trash cans food grade? I was wondering if you can use those as a primary fermenter.

That is what I use. I have 4 of the gray Brute 10-gallon trash cans. You can get them at restaurant supply stores. Usually the big box stores won't carry that size, but they do often have the 20 gallon and 32 gallon sizes, which is convenient if you are making larger amounts of wine. I have an Ace Mart near me, so that's where I got mine.

They have an NSF seal on the bottom, and they say "NSF STD. 2 FOOD CONTACT: WHITE, GRAY, YELLOW. - NSF STD. 21 REFUSE: NO COLOR RESTRICTIONS"

This means that the Rubbermaid Brute trash cans that are white, gray, or yellow are rated for food contact. Other colors may be used for garbage.

The lids are usually sold separately. They snap on but don't fit tight.

When using a trash can for a primary, check the PETE number in the triple arrows, it should be a 1 or a 2.

On the Rubbermaid Brute trash cans, the number in the triangle is 4 and it says LPDE below it. PETE is not a requirement for NSF approval for food contact.

If a plastic container originally had commercially prepared food packaged in it (in contact with the plastic) or if it says NSF STD 2 FOOD CONTACT or similar language, then it is fine regardless of the number in the triangle. At least, that is true if it was made in the US.

By the way, PETE is a 1 in the triangle. If it is a 2, then it is HDPE, not PETE. Here is a list of Resin identification codes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back