RJ Spagnols Metatartaric Acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martini

Junior
Reaction score
I am ready to bottle and noticed the "Optional" step of the Metatartic Acid. It says to add it for 2 or 3 days before bottling. CanI add it and bottle it without waiting the 2-3 days?

I wouldnt use it. I used it before and found it didnt do anything at all. If you dont want wine diamonds in your bottles then I highly recommend cold stabilizing your wine to prevent it because this meta tartaric acid wont do it even short term. I used this on my EP Amarone and had diamonds in mine after 3 months in a 59* cellar.

Really interresting Wade that you found that it didn't do anything. Theoretically, the metatartaric is part of the acid base blending and should be used. The fact that it had no effect means that there really isn't much tartaric being added and that the wine is still balanced....very interresting.
My other comment is to agree with you wholeheartedly to cold stabilize. I have gotten in the habit of cold stabilizing ALL wines, even the kit wines. Probably isn't needed in a lot of cases, but in working with grapes mostly, it has just become habit. But if anyone has the ability (IE extra freezer), I still think that it can't do any harm, and really can help.

How many of you cold stabilize kits?? I never do kits, always do wine from grapes.

But... Can anyone say if it is absolutely necessary to wait 2-3 days after adding before I bottle. I planned on bottling toady and just noticed the part about waiting. I have already added the metatartaric

Just talked to RJS customer support. She said to wait 3 days after adding metatartaric and then rack off sediment before bottling.

My wine has bulk aged 90 days and is clear. I did not realize the metatartaric would cause more sediment.

Guess I'll wait.

I cold stabilized ep Pinot Grigio and grand red b/c both have the rep to drop lots of wine diamonds. I did see diamonds left in the bottom of the carboy when I racked post cold stabilization.

The effect of metatartaric acid is only temporary, and eventually you will get precipitation of tartrate salts, anyway. If you can cold stabilize, it's probably the best thing to do. Otherwise, the tartrate salts are pretty benign.

If you collect it and dry the wine diamonds, you basically have your own 'cream of tartar'.

Thanks guys. I did notice that the metatartaric said it would protect for 12 mo. I plan to let it sit in the bottle longer than that anyway.

I have made hundreds of these kits and we never put it in the wine. I was told it will prevent "diamonds" from forming for up to 18 months. I prefer to let the diamonds fall earlier than later so the wine smooths out quickly.

I just posted this question on a CC Thread... Do cellar craft kits drop diamonds... I've done all my kit's and looking into there showcase line.... If they do gonna get them while the garage is still cold...thanks

Sent from my ADR6400L using Wine Making mobile app

Back