Math Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
5 teaspoons of Kmeta in 8 oz of water. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon

Sammyk, if you are referring to sanitizing solution, I use 3 tablespoons (9 teaspoons) per gallon of water. Five teaspoons in 8 oz. would be the equivalent of 20 teaspoons per gallon. Pretty strong!

Last edited:
Sorry, this was a recipe I found to use in must and wine when kmeta is called for.

If memory serves me, this is the dilution of K-meta that the cans of Vintner's Harvest fruit bases suggest you use to add to the wine before bottling. I have never tried to calculate the amount of SO2 that that ought to produce but the smell of the SO2 is very apparent.

I think I may get it. The "recipe" is calling for you to make up a super-strong k-meta solution by adding 5 tsp of k-meta to 8 oz. of water. Then you take this strong solution and dole it into your juice/must at the rate of 1 tsp solution per gallon of must.

The math (shown below) works out to 5/48 of a tsp of dry k-meta powder per gallon of must. This works out to 5/8 tsp dry k-meta in a 6-gallon batch.

The math: There are 6 tsp in 1 US oz., so there are 48 tsp in 8 oz of water. So, if you take 1 tsp of the solution, you are taking 1/48 of the solution. Since there are 5 tsp of dry k-meta in the whole solution, you are taking 5/48 tsp of dry k-meta.

We still need help please. Is the above solution OK to use in must and at every other racking? No so2 test kit and not intentions of putting money into another expensive piece of equipment.

Sammy I don't understand what you don't get. Why are you making this more difficult then it is. I already explained you can stick to the old standard of 1/4 tsp of meta (for 5-6 gallon carboy) every 3 months if you don't want to measure. I did that for years before I measured with no issue.

Dan, I have explained many times we do not use 5/6 gallon carboys. We are trying to find an easier means to use kmeta instead of campden tablets.

Ok so whats the big deal? Add 1/4 tsp to 5oz of water. add one ounce to your gallon jug and throw the rest away or add it to your sanitizer.

Another way of doing it is to put 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta in 60 ml of water and stir. Then use a 10 ml syringe to draw out 10 ml and add one of those to each gallon.

Back