Potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dabittle

Junior
Reaction score
My six gallons of cider (OG 1.100 ) was fermenting steady and well since the initial pitching of the yeast on Monday, six days ago. The last few days the Lalvin 71B (64 degrees) picked up steam...and today was down to 9 BRIX, which is 14%ABV. The taste was lacking the sweetness it had just yesterday. So, I wanted to stop it. I turned down the temp to 36 degrees and added Potassium sorbate. However, instead of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (17 grams) I added 1/2 tablespoon per six gallon (51 grams). I know, I know!

Now what?

My six gallons of cider (OG 1.100 ) was fermenting steady and well since the initial pitching of the yeast on Monday, six days ago. The last few days the Lalvin 71B (64 degrees) picked up steam...and today was down to 9 BRIX, which is 14%ABV. The taste was lacking the sweetness it had just yesterday. So, I wanted to stop it. I turned down the temp to 36 degrees and added Potassium sorbate. However, instead of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (17 grams) I added 1/2 tablespoon per six gallon (51 grams). I know, I know!

Now what?
You didn’t mention wether you added potassium metabisulfite (aka Kmeta) along with the sorbate. If you didn’t, then add it now. Otherwise you will be fine, the excess sorbate shouldn’t hurt. If I am way off base though others will chime in.

Secondly, welcome to WMT.

Thirdly, it seems like we get an awful lot of these questions. Age old advice is to measure twice, cut once. Same goes for adding things to your wine. I often record in my notes the recommended dosing, then do the math right there in my notebook for how much that means for my carboy.

Welcome to WMT!

A few things:

*It is difficult for the home winemaker to stop an active fermentation. My recomendation instead is to let it ferment to dry, then stabilize it with K-meta and potassium sorbate, then backsweeten with sugar to your desired level of sweetness.

*What are you referring to when you say "down to 9 BRIX, which is 14%ABV. " How are you measuring your Brix? How are you interpreting that measurement to indicate 14%. (I don't think this makes any sense.)

You didn’t mention wether you added potassium metabisulfite (aka Kmeta) along with the sorbate. If you didn’t, then add it now. Otherwise you will be fine, the excess sorbate shouldn’t hurt. If I am way off base though others will chime in.

Secondly, welcome to WMT.

Thirdly, it seems like we get an awful lot of these questions. Age old advice is to measure twice, cut once. Same goes for adding things to your wine. I often record in my notes the recommended dosing, then do the math right there in my notebook for how much that means for my carboy.
I did not add potassium metabisulfite, but I will do it to the tune of 1/16 teaspoon per gallon.

Thank you.

Yes, The old adage still rings true..."The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."

The refractometer reads 9 BRIX, which equates to 13.97% ABV. I didn't want it to go ferment any further for reasons of alcohol content and sweetness.

1701018039162.jpeg

Welcome to WMT. If your SG is .996 you are probably done fermenting anyways.

I agree with the others. Just plan your fermentations to complete dry then after clearing and appropriate aging add sorbate and k-meta, back sweeten, and bottle.

Latest posts

Back