Malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do you know it went through MLF?

The MLF happened spontaneously. There were the telltale signs of small bubbles rising in the carboy for about a month and a half.
I had made two 6 gallon batches of chokecherry wine about 2 weeks apart. The first batch I added k-meta soon after the fermentation was over. I did not add any k-meta to the second batch as quickly as the first and then I noticed all the bubbles, so I let it run through the MLF as this could be very good for a chokecherry wine.

Did you add Sorbate?
Yes. The original batch was 6 gallons. I bottled 4 gallons of that dry with k-meta only. Sorbate as well as k-meta were added to the other two gallons. Back-sweetened to a specific gravity of 1.019

I think I will just keep sampling a bottle from time to time to see if any strange taste develops.

I am not sure you went through and mlf, this don't normally happen with a fruit wine. I am thinking you went through a re-fermentation. Have you been taking readings of your wine?

I am not sure you went through and mlf, this don't normally happen with a fruit wine. I am thinking you went through a re-fermentation. Have you been taking readings of your wine?

The wine did ferment to dry (.995). There was no additional sugar added after fermentation.
From what I have read Chokecherry is very high in malic acid and this is why I thought that MLF occurred.

Yep, this fruit, apple, and blackberry among a few others do have enough malic acid in them for a fermenant to be possible. If you do taste the geranium you will just have to add an f-pack or somethng to mask it.

Okay guys, I'm going to order the Lalvin you recommended for the MLF. I have a sizeable order for George (gonna get that Italian Floor Corker) so I'll include it with that. Thanks again!

I have been reading and reading about MLF. I am fermenting a Pinot Noir that I purchased from Luva Bella. It sounded like something that I wanted to do to make the best tasting wine I can. I have noticed that if you look at most articles about it they are not talking about doing a MLF with kit wines or juice. I have now read a couple of places that they do not recommend doing a MLF on kit wines since they are adjusted for acid prior to you receiving the kit. I don't want to mess up my first wine kit so I will forgo the MLF until I get a little more experience.

Daryl

I am fermenting a Pinot Noir that I purchased from Luva Bella. I have noticed that if you look at most articles about it they are not talking about doing a MLF with kit wines or juice. I don't want to mess up my first wine kit so I will forgo the MLF until I get a little more experience. Daryl

So daryl are you doing a kit wine and a bucket of juice. The juice is Pinot Noir, which kit wine did you get? Are you also going to forgo mlf on the juice?

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology. I considered the juice that I picked up at Luva Bella as a kit wine since they have added everything to it before I purchased it. They told be that all I had to do is open and stir. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Daryl

I had a feeling thats what you meant. This is a kit wine. Its basically concentrated juice with all the chemicals premeasured already for you in packets, along with step by step instructions. They are actually quiet good.
I am doing an MLF on two of my three reds. Julie is not doing the mlf on hers. When I talked to Joe their winemaker he does not do an mlf either. So it is totally your call on which way to go. This is my first time doing it. As Rich posted above, do not do MLF's on a kit wine.

Doing an MLF on Juice could get you an MILF.

Thanks Dan, now I know which direction I am going to go and that is not to do MLF. I think I might have ended up with something that I didn't want to drink. I can't imagine a wine with a fish taste. Sends chills down my spine.

Daryl

Daryl, I'm still confused as to what you purchased. A kit wine like Dan referred to above or a juice bucket with the yeast added. If it's the latter, you have to do a little more than just stir it up. Just curious. :gn

Hi Daryl,

What juice did you buy at Luva Bella's? Just curious.

Dan is doing the MLF on a Malbec, I decided not to do an MLF on my Malbec, we are going to compare the difference.

Mike & Julie,
I purchased the Pinot Noir. It is in a 6 gallon bucket. The Luva Bella instructions that they give you say to stir and ferment. They didn't say anything about adjusting the acid, sugar, etc. I also talked to one of the guys that was bringing out the buckets and he told me that everything was added for me. If they did only put the yeast in guess what the family is getting for Christmas gifts. My sister in law will get 2 bottles.
Julie, did you go to fat jimmies yet?

Daryl

So I can safely assume that if I get a Chilian juice bucket, it doesn't need all the additional steps of a MLF & different yeasts. Everything is adjusted & included in the bucket, similar to a kit, less the clearing agents?? A successful wine can be made as is without all the tweaking & expense of the MLF & whatever else. Just trying to make the best wine in the easiest method & have never done any juice buckets.
AL

Back