Malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are right, I got a juice bucket last fall from Comsumers Produce and on the bucket it stated that the yeast was already added. So I'm thinking that the buckets are all coming that way as well.
NOT mine...

Thanks Wade. I'll have to return the one I got Friday at PI and get another one that you recommended. Thanks for doing the research as there is so many of us trying it for the first time in the next couple of weeks.

They are dry. Just rehydrate them and add. I hydrate them in 11 shot glasses (why 11? if I had 11 6 gal carboys thats 66 gal thats what VP41 will do) then divide that into the number of carboys

Thanks Tom. So I could just rehydrate them in a beaker with 90 Ml of water and add 30 ml to my three carboys, right. Is water ok to use, the instructions say's not to. Otherwise I'll just use wine.

Eitherwill work.
DO NOT ADD META TILL MLF IS OVER

Do NOT EVER add Sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF

I take a 500 ml beaker and add 330 ml warm water. I then add the whole packet of culture to it along with a bit of starter. Let that go for the length of time needed to activate it and then add 5ml water mixture per gallon. That way you can treat many size carboys or containers with the correct amount.

The mixture of the 2 can cause a Geranium taste and smell and no you wont be able to sweeten this wine without risk of refermentation.

So you're saying I can use this culture even though it said not to use with ec1118?
I've Not used that culture. Not sure why it cant with 1118. Why did you get this culture if it says not to use with 1118?

I've Not used that culture. Not sure why it cant with 1118. Why did you get this culture if it says not to use with 1118?

I'm a rookie and took what they gave me. When I got home I did a search and found those instructions on line from Fallbright Wineries in the Finger Lakes.

Dan, you have an S02 tester now so check it and make a decision then as to if its safe to use that culture. Thats why we have thses testing units!

Hehehe, mine comes in on Tuesday! I will be giggling like a little schoolgirl!

Back