Malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep S02 down
make sure ph is above 3.20
use a good nutrient like microessentials
keep warm >70 degrees
keep carboys topped off well
be patient

Ok, so it sounds like I should be using Lalvin VP41 for the MLF on my Carmenere juice bucket as it should be compatible with the EC1118 that I believe my juice bucket will have in it. Does in come in individual packets for 6 gallon batches? I hope I can get it through one of the internet vendors as I can't get it locally. :a1

No, only comes for 66 gallons. Yes, you can get thru at least one of our approved vendors

No, only comes for 66 gallons. Yes, you can get thru at least one of our approved vendors

Holy Crap!! $29.95 for 66 gallons. And I only need it for 6 gallons. Since it's dry I should be able to divide it. Question is: will the remainder keep for any length of time?

Holy Crap!! $29.95 for 66 gallons. And I only need it for 6 gallons. Since it's dry I should be able to divide it. Question is: will the remainder keep for any length of time?

I paid like $17.00 at Presque Isle. You should be able to find something for six gallons but it is still $10.00. You can not save it. It must be used immediately.

Ok started two MLF's today for the Carmenere and Melbec.
Carmenere sg .998 ph 3.42 S02 18ppm
Melbec sg 99.4 ph 3.44 S02 12

Holy smokes I didn't realize I would get a volcano upon stirring, use caution LOL

Used Italian carboys and with three wines I ended up a quiet short. I racked the Melbec and Carmenere into six gallon carboys and my Zinfandel into a five. I realize each one holds about 1/4 gallon extra. I used the zinfandel for topping up the other two.

You can open the package and take out what is needed. Use a gram scale. Reseal the package and freeze it. It will keep about 6 months with no problem.

MLB is expensive. You can buy Bacchus from wine supply stores for about $8 and it does 5-6 gallons. It is in the same packages as yeast. It also comes with it's own nutrient so is easy to use. I have had some people like the taste of the wine with that rather than the fancier ones.

Dan, since these were buckets of juice and not from grapes where you press them then they are loaded with C02 just like a kit so yes they will foam. Its mainly because you are putting something in there that the C02 nucleus's can attach to which make them release. Kind of like a balloon or bubble on a popcorn ceiling.

Thanks Wade, just a heads up to thse following me. Don't fill your carboy to the top before adding and stirring your culture. I planned on vigorous stirring and ended up with gentle stirring several times over 20 minutes.

So Dan, with your Carmenere SO2 level only being 18ppm, mine should be approximately the same---right? Therefore I should not have to use a culture that needs a tolerance against high SO2 levels. Is that correct? The one that had been recommended was quite expensive ($29.95) and made 66 gallons. Does anyone have a "cheaper" recommendation for a 6 gallon batch.

Every fermentation will produce different levels of everything. You really should test everything. Also, not everybatch needs MLF but in general most red wines will benefit from it. Below is a link for some good reading material on MLF. Flem, Im betting your S02 levels are just fine but if your worried either test it or aerate it a little but at this stage Id vere from that one much.
http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wredw.pdf

Eitherwill work.
DO NOT ADD META TILL MLF IS OVER

Do NOT EVER add Sorbate to a wine that went thru MLF

Oops. I back-sweetened a chokecherry wine that went through MLF about a month ago. Right now it tastes fantastic. How long could this wine go before it starts to flower (geranium).

Oops. I back-sweetened a chokecherry wine that went through MLF about a month ago. Right now it tastes fantastic. How long could this wine go before it starts to flower (geranium).

how do you know it went through MLF?

There are test kits for checking whether or not the malic acid has been converted or not. Here's a link that has a good explaination and has a link to their mlf manual too.

Back