WineXpert Liebfraumilch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake77

Reaction score
Just started a WE Selection Original Liebfraumilch today. Has anyone made this one before? I did a search on here and couldn't find much. I am very anxious to see how this one turns out.

Wow! Can't believe no one has tried this one. I racked to glass 4 days ago and tastes and smells great. It has bean a fairlyslow ferment though. It took11 days to get to 1.010 at 72 degrees with Premier Cuvee with a starting gravity of 1.082. I can't wait to try this with some grilled fish and shrimp! I will post how this turns out.

Jake I didn't make this one myself but have a sister that did it before. It is a good tasting wine with lots of flavors. If I didn't have so many grapes to work with, I would make it just to round out my selection of offerings to folks. I think you shoul be happy with it.

I made this kit back in the spring. Ater trying the first bottle with friends my wife told me to get anotherkit started right away so we have more ready when the first kit is gone. It was a big hit with friends. Flavorful and not too dry. I just did step three last nite on the secondkit and created a volcano degassing (Damn I hate it when that happens). My local shop also said this is one of the more popular kits in his shopin this price range.

I stabalised and cleared this wine 3 weeks ago and it has not cleared. It dropped most of the sediment but is still very cloudy. I racked it again per directions almost 2 weeks ago and it hasn't changed a bit. I used the isinglass that came with the kit. I usually save the isinglass and use my own Super cleer and never have any problems clearing a WE kit. Would some pectin enzyme help at all or should I try the super cleer now? I wasn't planning on bulk aging this one as I don't with whites and will need carboy for bulk aging some upcoming reds.

Sounds like you are not fully degassed. Try degassing again before adding any more clarifier.

I degassed again7 days ago and it really didn't fizz or foam. It has not changed at all, its still very cloudy. Any recomendations?

This batch has cleared somewhat now. It still has a little haze in it. Does anyone know whether the filter will remove the haze or should I go ahead and super clear it. I filter all of my whites but all of them have been crystal clear before filtering.

I don't think filtering will help get rid of the haze. By chance whats is the wines temp when you degassed? Sounds like its being stubborn and you may need to be patient (I know easy for me to say).
VC

The last time I degassed I brought the wine temp up to 75-78 degrees with a small heater blowing in front of it and stirred it with drill for a good 5 mins to make sure.

I really think you are just going to have to be patient. Some wines are in no hurry but I would try and keep the temps at 75, that may help.
VC

Latest posts

Back