Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port (Double Batch!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the per bottle price may be high but you will make that up with volume (or something like that).
smiley4.gif

Yep, that is pretty pricey but this is one of those wines that will stand the test of time on your shelf!!

Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but I am looking to start one of these in order to make some quality port. Just wonder what if any the updates are to this almost a year and a half later?

Its better then quite a few commercial ports Ive had off the shelf IMO. That being said Im not a huge spender but Im not super cheap also. My batch has some decent years on it now but the only tweak I did was add more oak.

I've never "oaked" anything. How long should I keep the oak chips in? Just not sure if it's possible to over do it.

You can't over oak this kit especially with the supplied oak. Leave the chips in for a few weeks or until they have sunk to the bottom of the carboy.

20101121_183323_DSC02801.jpg

I am warming up the juice in my primary for a double batch of La Bodega Port. (Go big or go home as they say!)
smiley36.gif

Question for the port experts. Should I really add 2 packages of Bentonite as well as 2 packages of Raisins and FOUR packages of yeast to this bad boy?

The instructions are downright horrible for this kit! No explanation that you should use both packages of yeast, no mention of the F Pack and when it should be added............

I went online and found a newer version of the MM AllGRAPE Pack Procedure that at least mentions the F Pack but not the double dose of Yeast.

This is going to be one FULL primary with 2 pounds of raisins !

20101121_183334_DSC02802.jpg

Mike, I love your oak barrel!!! Good luck on your port! I have mine in the carboy now. The orange chocolate port. It is a camping staple! :)
Kathie

Mine turned out fantastic! Ridiculously fantastic! Its now about ~2.5 years old and hands down best Port Wine from a kit. :hug

Sorry for re-opening this thread,but i have some questions....First my kit came with 2 flavor packs,like alot of other people,tried calling MM, no weekend hours.i proceeded onward,as per instructions except i diced up my raisins in a food processor(george`s instructions)...put the juice in added bentonite,and raisins(MM`s instuctions say hold off for 24 hours on raisins) hydrated my yeast...never did this before...ec1118 2 packes...said 104 degrees for 15 seconds....did it and pitched it....took my SG...little disappointed....1.102..the instructions say to wait a least 24 hours to take the SG?....seems low to me....why hydrate the yeast?..why what 24 hours for your starting SG?...when they say don`t put the rainins in for 24 hours... must say as a newbie,them directions....suck

The reason for waiting on the SG measurement is that it takes a while for the sugars in the raisins/grapes to integrate and impact the SG. So, it should go up. I've gotten in the habit of taking 2-4 SG measurements during the first 24 hours when starting kits with grape packs or added fruit. My "official" starting gravity is whatever the highest measurement is.

You should only have one Flavour Reserve Pack per kit. If you do indeed have two of them you may have an extra unless they did something weird like start making them in smaller packages than they used to and now they include two instead of one. I would call them and investigate on Monday and if you do have an extra pack you could add it to up your ABV a little more.

The reason for waiting on the SG measurement is that it takes a while for the sugars in the raisins/grapes to integrate and impact the SG. So, it should go up. I've gotten in the habit of taking 2-4 SG measurements during the first 24 hours when starting kits with grape packs or added fruit. My "official" starting gravity is whatever the highest measurement is.

Boat.... the instructions said to wait 24 hours BEFORE adding the raisins..let alone the SG

How big were they? Here is a pic of mine when it only came with one. It was BIG though. Perhaps they went with smaller if they were having problems with breakage.

20101121_183334_DSC02802.jpg

I just called MM,and the lady said to add both of the f- packs.... I told her they are pretty big, and she put me on hold and came back and said the both are to be added ,It's about a total of a liter combined...

Look at the bag in the pick. I estimated it to be ~750ml but it could have been closer to 1L. I didn't measure it. Sounds like they made smaller F-Packs for some reason.

Latest posts

Back