Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port (Double Batch!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
20101121_183323_DSC02801.jpg

I am warming up the juice in my primary for a double batch of La Bodega Port. (Go big or go home as they say!)
smiley36.gif

Question for the port experts. Should I really add 2 packages of Bentonite as well as 2 packages of Raisins and FOUR packages of yeast to this bad boy?

The instructions are downright horrible for this kit! No explanation that you should use both packages of yeast, no mention of the F Pack and when it should be added............

I went online and found a newer version of the MM AllGRAPE Pack Procedure that at least mentions the F Pack but not the double dose of Yeast.

This is going to be one FULL primary with 2 pounds of raisins !

20101121_183334_DSC02802.jpg

yes on the raisins...

I use both packets of yeaston a single batch (I called Mosti, and they said use both). But I'm not sure a double....

Good times a comin!!! Double batch Bodega!!!

Mike If you are going to do the entire batch in one primary then just use two packets of yeast but all the bentonite. Not sure i wouldnt do it in two primaries unles you have a really big one

Here is what I ended up going with.

Added (1) package of Bentonite. It appears to be the same size package that a regular Mosti kit contains.

Added only (2) packages of the supplied Lalvin (EC-1118) Yeast.

The starting SG on the combined must was a nice 1.110 which comes out to 15% ABV depending on finishing SG.

I looked back at my Fresh Grape batches from early September and my starting SG for both the Cabernet and the Merlot was the same 1.110 and both of those finished nicely with 2 packages of Lalvin (RC 212) Yeast.

Starting temp was 76 degrees when I pitched the yeast and its already starting to bubble nicely this AM and the wonderful smell of fermenting grape juice is permeating the winery once again!

I will post some pics tonight after we get a full 24 hours post pitch.

Both packs of raisins will go into a cheesecloth bag tonight.
smiley17.gif

Luckily I have a 7.9 gallon Primary. Even then I will need to keep a close eye on this bad boy for the first few days with the double pack of raisins its going to be pretty full me thinks.

I will have a few more questions of the F-Packs and choice of fortification materials down the road.

This guy will go into the Vadai Barrel for 6 months at some point!
smiley27.gif

Exactly what I would have said Mike, with what you used. All the oak, all the raisins, 1 pack of bentonite, and 2 packets, maybe three of yeast but I cant see any problem with 2 at all. Mine is about 3 years old now and really shining!

My "double batch of trouble" is cooking away nicely this AM.

20101123_115337_DSC02805.jpg

Added both packs of Raisins late last night and punched down this AM. Nice fizzy ferment so far.

20101123_115351_DSC02806.jpg

I am thinking I will put this guy into the Vadai before I fortify. Then pull out, fortify and then transfer to Carboy for integration for a month or two before bottling.

Anyone see a problem with this logic? I am thinking Everclear might not be very good for the barrel?
smiley23.gif

I cant see Everclear being a problem for the barrel at all, what is it yo thnk might happen? How long do you plan on keeping it in the barrel Mike?

I am little concerned about putting in a finished Port with 20% alcohol and being backsweetened. Will it impart a sweet flavor to the next wine that goes in? Will it extract the oak at a faster rate due to higher alcohol (solvent) content?

Just my random wandering thoughts since I only have one barrel, I don't want to put a Red Mountain Cab in after the Port and then pull it out and have it taste "off dry".

So kind of thinking it would be safest to let the port finish to dry. Add sulfite, clarifying agents. Let it clear for a month or so. Rack off the fines. Add to the Vadai for 6 months. Pull it out, transfer to Glass, add the F-Pack, Sorbate and Fortify.

Then let it sit for another 6 months in the Carboy and bottle.

Your right, the 2nd pic does look like a bucket o blood or something.....

The smell in the winery says otherwise thank goodness!
smiley17.gif

Mike,

With my Ports (and you know I do plenty of them).... I ferment to dry. Put them in the barrel... When they come out... I F-Pack them.... Then fortify... Allow to clear again (happens pretty quick with the high ABV).... then sweeten and bottle.

Hope it helps....

Joel

I wouldn't be concerned with the high ABV, but I would be concerned with the sweetness. I think that could linger in the barrel.

yep, the sugar can linger in the barrel. That's why you should make the next wine to hang in there a Shiraz. They are typically wines with a touch of residual. It would probably hide any sugars that get left in the wine, and the alcohol would help to dissolve the rest out of the wood.

I have NEVER had a batch permeate from the winery INTO the house yet yesterday I could smell it when I walked in!

Pretty amazing stuff. The temps on the must have been 74 for the last 2 days with NO heat. The temp in the winery is 55-58 these days!

How's the Port coming Mike?

Did I mention I am doing 1 right now also?

I decided to raise my SG today from 1.010 to 1.030. I want to try it this way so I can use less Brandy to fortify. I think I want the Grape flavor to really shine.... Less influence by the Brandy.

I was reading that you are planning to use everclear to fortify.... Please let me reccommend that you do a bench trial before doing the whole batch. I did one last year on the Bodega... I strongly preferred the one fortified with Brandy!!!

I am coming down from 1.020 as of this AM (day 5). Keeping this one warm 72-74 with the belt.

I read that with Everclear you need to add less volume than Brandy plus it's a neutral grain spirit close to Grappa which is what they use to fortify the real stuff.

I have no real world experience with what to fortify with! Am open to any and all ideas here!

Latest posts

Back