Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port (Double Batch!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rick!

I have a bottle of VSOP and XO waiting and will try not to drink it all beforehand so I have enough left to fortify it with in 6-8 months or so!

Update on this guy. He has just completed his turn in the Vadai. He has really settled down since that first taste test in January. WoW, if the wine taste this good right now, can't wait to see what it turns into once I back sweeten and fortify.

So my question for today is since this was a double batch and they gave me 2 packets of sorbate do I really need both or shouldn't one packet be enough. Looks like these are the same size, weight as what comes in a regular kit that is good to treat 6 gallons so I find it hard to believe that I would actually need 2 packets, its just that Mosti didn't want to make a 1/2 size packet for these specialty 3G kits.

Also how long to wait after you add sorbate before you can safely add the F-Pack?

All of the kit manufacturers do this. I usually make dble batches of these type kits and I havent had any trouble yet using 1 packet of sorbate.

Its worked for me on 4 batches of both port and ice wine........so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the one packet (of Sorbate) makes perfect sense, was kinda unsure on how long to wait before adding it the F-Packs......

Most kits have you add the f-pac immediately after adding the sulfite and sorbate, I myself like to give it a few days just to be sure its melded in properly.

the sorbate starts to work instantly, so you don't really have to wait. It's main job is to prevent the yeast from re-replicating back up to strength to eat the new sugars. Its secondary job is as an anti-bacterial to prevent any other nasties from taking hold.

You've waited long enough that you should have a minimal yeast colony. Waiting is not required, but doesn't hurt.

Sorbate is just like the oxygen sterilizers, it works immediately on contact. The problem with the quantity of sorbate that the kit makers give you is that to many people it raises the sorbate level enough to be detectable. Some people can really detect it in the taste. If I'm making a 3 gal batch, I always use only half the packet. The whole packet does alter the taste.
Even if they save money by not having to make a separate packet with only half as much in it, they should put in their directions for ports to only use half of it.
Didn't think that I could taste the sorbate until I bench tested......with the whole packet, there really was a difference.
Sorry, but I've been layed up after a heart attack for a while.....everything fine now (guess I just didn't drink enough red to prevent it -grin).
Noticed questions a while ago about how much brandy to use to fortify. The easiest and most accurate method is to use a Pierson Square with it's simple calculations. Should be easy to google and find out what it is and how to use it. You know that alcohol % of the wine, and the brandy.....so it's very easy to do the grammar school calculations.

I don't use sorbate unless I back sweeten. I can taste it at low levels. Will be only using one package for sure. I used that handy Peason's square calculator last month to figure out I need 6 bottles of Brandy to fortify 6 gallons of port wine to 19%.

This has quickly become the most expensive 6 gallons of wine ever made bar none!

And you will personally replace 2 batches of La Bodega when they start to esplode down the road, right?
smiley4.gif

There are now cultured yeast that can ferment up to 18-19%......

I don't suspect they are hanging around my winery but you know where I work and what
smiley34.gif
does to bugs right?

They filmed "Starship Troopers" right down the road!
smiley36.gif

If you bring your port up to 19 I will buy you a new kit if it starts fermentation again!!!!! Seriously, I swear I will! Scouts honor!

Update:

I blended up this bad boy last night. The wine was right at 6 mo bulk aging all by itself. I have to admit that this was by far the BEST tasting kit wine EVER. I was so tempted to pull a few bottles aside and not fortify but I held true and fortified all 6 gallons.

I ended up using the new 8 gallon primary fermenter as the mixing bucket. I added a single packet of Sorbate from one of my Cellar Craft kits that I didn't use. I have added Sorbate to my recently bottled CC Riesling as well as Pinot Gris as they had a flavour reserve pack and I did not notice the bubble gum smell like I did with the Sorbate packs from Mosti so with fingers crossed I added it in and stirred well before I added in the 2L of Port Essence packs. A quick taste test afterwards revealed no funky bubble gum taste so I was happy camper.

I then added in 3 bottles of E&J XO Brandy and 3 bottles of E&J VSOP Brandy for a total of 4.5L of Brandy.

Using the Pearson's Square formula this should yield a 19% ABV Port since the wine finished out at 15.2% ABV. Adding in the 2L of Port Essence should drop the ABV somewhat but not exactly sure. Should end up in the 18% range +/- 0.5% I would guess.

Taste test of the mixed up batch immediately afterwards was double YUM!

The Brandy while blended in had not married by any means but it was still smooth, sweet and delectable. Another years aging in carboy should make this a wonderful experience in a bottle.

I hope I can wait that long!I ended up with 8 gallons of finished product that will be all bottled in 375ml split bottles (approx 80 bottles).
smiley31.gif

Thats a lot of 375's my friend. Still not sure why you even used sorbate in this with the fortifying but I guess you dont want to take any chances. Mine is almost 4 years old now and dear Lord is it awesome!

Latest posts

Back