Kennell Estates Vineyard & Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those vines look pretty good from this distance. House is standing strong still!
smiley32.gif

Another update,

My wife heard from a co-worker that his grandson was moving out of a rental property in hamburg due to a long drive back and forth to work. We checked on it and were able to rent it for a few months while we wait to see what fema will do ( IF ANYTHING!!! )and then there is a possibility we may be able to purchase the place. It's a change from living on a small acreage to living in town, but barb only has 5 blocks to travel to get to work. We have slowly started to move things in and actually spent last night in the house ( NOT A CAMPER )!!!!

More later

BOB

Good to hear Bob. Glad to see that you are looking at the positive (meaning the "only 5 block travel for Barb ). I am quite sure that if you keep that attitude going that it can only help you out in this situation that you and your family are in. Happy B-day and keep your chin up
smiley2.gif

Dan,

The house will probably be torched when it comes clean up time and the acreage will be put on the market and sold. None of my neighbors are returning to their homes. There will be no one left on the riverbottom that I have called home for 42 years. I guess maybe the COE are getting what they wanted. Most of us that lived out there now have no other choice but to move on. One thing positive about moving into a new place is once everything is moved and in place there's no reason I can't start making wine again!!!!! Woo Hoo...... I know..... I'm terrible aren't I
smiley4.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley32.gif

BOB

Thats the attitude!!! Another good thing was the fact you had time to clean out your house and safely remove you family. How many people were caught off guard?
Question, living on the river bottom did that make you a bottom feeder? LMAO Bob you're in our thoughts everyday and we wish you and your family nothing but the best.

Dan, I guess you could say that!!!

Thanks to all for your interest and concerns

BOB

Bob,
I had followed your vinyard until last winter and always looked forward to a new post and pics. I was really buzy at work this past 6 months and haven't been on the forum much so I missed your flood.You are an inspiration to me and your loss has me devistated(I am sure you are too). The care and dedication you put into your vines amazed me. I've been looking for acreage here in the finger lakes region of NY for a while and plan on emulating your hard work. Good luck and I hope that you find another piece of land where you can start again if that is your wish. My prayers are with you and yours. God Bless !

Pete

Bob,

If you do go ahead and buy in town, do you think you might buy a small plot outside of town, where you can grow some grapes? How about there in town, is there room for a few vines where you are living?

Sorry I missed this a few days ago Bob. I'm glad you have found a house even if temporarily. I would be devastated myself if that had happened to me after a lifetime of hard work. It was more than a place to live, but a home for your family and friends. I wish you the best of luck and keep up your 'spirits' about the winemaking.

Here's an update,

We are pretty much settled in to our new place. It's going to be awhile I think before we will truely be able to call it home. Alot of our life and memories still belong on the farm. The corp has started to decrease the flow out of the dams. One of my neighbors went out in a boat yesterday and got some photos. There is no longer water in the house it's kind of setting on it's own little island. They could only get within a 1/4 mile of the house. Believe it or not my vines are still green ( could even be fruit ripening on them). The road to the farm is still underwater.
Pete, your last post really touched me. Everything that I did with the vines and grounds was a labor of love and filled me with pride when I showed it off. If the vines do survive I can't help but not try to transplant at least one of them.
Richard, there is a vacant lot right next to the house we now live in and if we decide to purchase this place we will definitly try to buy the lot.
Rich, Thanks for everything and you never know when one of these days a guy that goes by fivebk might accidently show up on your doorstep !!!

I truely want to thank everyone for their prayers and concerns.
smiley4.gif

BOB

Thanks for checkin' in Bob!

Glad you are still hanging in there and have gotten settled in so to speak in the new place. I don't know how you let go of those vines. Mine are only in there 2nd leaf and I am already thinking to myself how could you ever move from this labor of love......

Stay safe and keep us posted on things when you can.

Yes, thanks for the update.

A week ago I was flying from St. Louis north-west across to Omaha (and back to Montana) and saw the Missouri which has I-29 flooded (and closed) which made the news, back then -- but I saw the numbers of farmsteads flooded, and still that way -- and they were hardly mentioned. The Mississippi north seemed normal, but then when I saw the Missouri I remembered you were south and still flooded as well. It made me realize the difference between the different parts of the river and how it affected those in Southern Missouri/Illinois. I don't know when it will subside, but will continue to keep you in our thoughts. Perhaps you will yet have a flood vintage! Thanks again.

Dave

Bob,

I haven't been around and happened to just check this out today. I am so glad that you guys are safe and have a place.I wish you guys luck in re-establishing your lives. My wife and I will add you to our prayers.

I still haven't opened that bottle of cherry chocolate port. But when I do I will surely raise it to you.

Hi Bob.
I haven't had much time this week to check in, but was glad to see you were still safe and moved into a spot that will give you shelter from the storms and winte. It has been so hectic of late as I market more and we had our Lake Champlain WInes Summer WIne Tour this weekend. Keep us updated and I will keep you in the prayers.

Hi guys, I thought I would post a pic of the farm

Look at my vines on the right side of the pic. Water stood on them for 57 consecutive days. At one time it was 4-5ft deep.

20110814_101257_scan0001_Small.jpg

BOB

I can see the mudline on the grain bin and buildings. It does look 4-5 feet high. Just devastating. A lot of folks around here including a sister went through this also this year. What a year for the country and the world.

Looks like the water is finally subsiding just like they said.........
smiley7.gif

Have you been out to check on the house, buildings and the vines?

Mike, The roads between town and the farm are impassable. It will be awhile before we will be able to get a close up look .

BOB

Latest posts

Back