Controling wind damage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have recently sold my farm, vineyard. I have always been suspicious of excessive wind damaging the vines. After sending samples of live and dead canes to a lab and consulting with two agronomist and finding no disease, all that's left is wind. 90% of canes are completely dead and very weak. About 10% are very strong with good color. Now to the present, I am planting another vineyard and believe in a windy site. After some study, thinking of planting the rows east and west to minimize wind and plant some pine trees for wind control. Now my question, has anyone tried this approach and how effective is this approach. Thanks

planting vines east to west is fine. The grapes will achieve highest sun exposure, Caution on the wine break as the shade does not reach the vines. you will receive lower growth and harvest because of the shade.

When I first removed my grow tubes I had a lot of wind damage but it was mainly on tender leaves and small diameter vines.

Is the damage all on new growth or have you had second year or older wood damaged?

Latest posts

Back