Mosti Mondiale I'm excited!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was waiting for you guys to pick up on that one.
smiley36.gif
I was seeing if Waldo was reading this thread. I had him send me up some of that Bulgarian Oak he used a while back it sounded so good. In reality I did use the Hungarian Oak!
smiley4.gif

Hmmmmmmmm so it was not just an episode of momentary delusion elicited by the clabber of the Bulgarian buttermilk. It was in reality an enlightnment that I failed to recognize

I racked mine last night off the lees. I added k-meta, Pot Sorbate, and ascorbic acid. I also added back the two cups of juice I pulled off before fermentation. I topped up with marbles and moved them to the cellar to clear at about 62 deg F. I have to say they improved in taste and smell considerably. Given their age I'm am super impressed.

Glad to hear they smell and taste better now Coaster. I think you will be quite pleased with the end result of these in another year. Mine is in the carboy with oak cubes taking it's time finishing up at cool temps. The room it is in is so cool I had to finally give up and move my red grape wines in carboys to a warmer room to get the mlf going on them. Since they are in the room with 75 deg temps, the fizzing has picked up considerably. I want to rack them off the oak pretty soon, so wanted the mlf going good before I did. You need some of the fine lees in the carboys for feed for the malo bacteria.

Joan defineitely-NO! The acid is barely high enough on this one already. A lot of juices that have been balanced have citric or tartaric acid added and an MLF is bad on these. I would suggest not doing it for the Amarone. The juices I pressed from fresh grapes are generally higher than desired because they are northern grown, so the MLF tames the excessive Malic acid down to Lactic acids which are easier on the tastebuds.

I honestly had to look up Big Bitter and see if it was the Amarone you were referring to. I have never heard that term, but then I have never had an Amarone
smiley36.gif
I will soon be doing another Amarone to use as the base for my attempt at Port. I am going to try some with chocolate and raspberry(or blackberry-not sure yet) and some with orange and chocolate. I will start another thread when I get the Amarone in(just ordered it). I'm using one of this months Mosti Renaissance kits on sale(just hope George didn't run out). Wish me luck!

OK I've not done the "clear naturally" thing before and my patience (while better developed than before) is wearing thin. How long for these fresh juices to clear (ballpark - weeks, months) or doI need to get some Isinglass?

I would counnt on at least a couple of months If after, say, 4-6 weeks it doesn't seem to be clearing nicely you might then try some type of clearing agent.

I racked the Amarone off the Hungarian Oak today. It has a goodly amount of oak to it now. Slight nutty taste and a good hint of vanilla. After it ages it should be just about right. I was a bottle short, so what to top up with? I decided I wanted this one to be a premium quality so why not use a good wine with a similar oak. I decided on the WE CastelinaSuper Tuscan so I opened up a bottle of the 18 month old stuff. I poured a small glass of it to make sure the bottle didn't have any off flavors before adding. WOW! This baby is really starting to open up now. The flavors just kept on coming. First the black cherries, then some blackpepper, oh now a good shot of chocolate and then smoothed out with a good taste of mellow vanilla. Good choice for topping up. It couldn't possibly take away from the Amarone!

Where I lived just about every other house was a farm bu I never worked on one and neither did any of my family. Not the kind of farms that you guys are probably used yo though , just small cow and horse farms not acres and acres of veggies. I still have all my teeth, no cars or trucks buried in my yard and no stills in my woods though. And I didnt Marry my sister!

wade said:
I still have all my teeth, no cars or trucks buried in my yard and no stills in my woods though. And I didnt Marry my sister!

You must live in one of them there high faluten hoods ha!............

In south Alabama, you know you're a redneck if you met your wife at a family reunion. Or at least that's what they say.

23_29_132.gif
Too funny and I almost had to send you a bill for spitting out commercial Amarone!

Back