Mosti Mondiale I'm excited!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joan the temp is up to 70 this AM and we have liftoff! I just left it in the bucket it came in, since it was down to the bottom ring or about 5 inches from the top. Nice big red bubbles working away!.

Isn't it purdy???
smiley1.gif

Can you explain the top of the MM pail...the part under where the screw cap goes? Is the piece sticking up supposed to be a puller to get the inside red part out? and what is with the "s" shape in it?

I think it is sort of an improvised airlock system. I was wondering about the tab myself. I screwed the cap until it is loose, but won't come off and let the must ferment in it.

Why can't they just ship it without the yeast in an airtight pail? Seems like that would solve a lot of the leaking problems! It seems a shame to waste so much fine juice!

I would think the same thing Joan. Maybe they figure it might start fermenting with wild yeasts so by adding it they can better control what yeast starts the ferment. I wouldn't mind them adding 1/4 tsp k-meta and putting the lid on(with about 2-3 inches headspace for freezing expansion). That way it would kill off the wild yeasts and make it safe until it got to it's destination, yet the levels would be low enough that you could do what you wanted with it.

I did a little testing of the Amarone after getting it. The SG when it warmed up was 1.070. The pH is 3.33 and the TA was .675. Based on these numbers I won't be doing MLF on this, since it would raise the pH too high and possibly remove some of the needed acids. I didn't bother to check the malic or lactic acid content of it. It should do great as is. I can't wait to taste this one a little later and compare it to some of my home grown grape wines. Edited by: appleman

I got mine (Vinho Verde and Muscato) on Halloween. I was in a rush whenI got home to go out with the kids soI racked to fermenting buckets and took the required measurements (I am travelling this week so don't have exact readings in front of me). Both was just about 5.5gals and there was a little juice in each bag the pails were packed in. Both were just above freezing (41F I think) and both were near 1.080. I pulled two cups off each one soI could add it back at topping if I wanted. I used the brew belt on one one night then the other the other night (24 hours for each). I was suppose to rack Sunday nite but I couldn't soI racked Monday nite at ~.998 for both. I haven't ever done "real" juice so I have nothing to compare too but these tasted "harsher" than the kits I do. The VV was sharp and the Muscato had some fruitiness, but both had an off smell to me (againI don't have anything to compare too). I'll let em sit for while to ensure they are done then I'll move them to the cellar to clear.

Hmmm...I just stirred and tasted my Amarone and I thought it was delicious! It smells yeasty (love that smell!) and continues to bubble away!
smiley4.gif

These most likely will be harsher as they are all juice and will need more time to age than a concentrate kit. The end result should be much better though.

I talked with the president and owner of Mosti Mondiale, Nino Piazza, tonight and he is going to do some testing in Canada. I think we may have solved the frozen juice problem. No guarantees, but the test provided some GREAT information and I have very high expectations that we can deliver frozen juice anywhere in the U.S. without any problems in the near future.

Nino is all for what I am trying to accomplish and will do whatever he can on his end. He knows a lot more about his product and we should have some answers within 2 weeks.

One of the things I was reminded of during the test is what wonderful customers I have. There was not a single person disapointed with the loss of juice or the condition of the product. The only unhappy customers were those that did not get their juice. I want to express my thanks to all of you that participated in this test and tell you how much I appreciate your understanding. Your sacrifices will not go unnoticed. THANK YOU!
smiley32.gif

George, you couldn't possibly be any kinder!!! Your generosity is outstanding! Thank you!

Joan, did you rack your Amarone to secondary yet? I got my smaller carboys today so I can free up a five gallon tomorrow. I will be racking then. I checked the SG tonight again and it is 1.000, maybe just a tad higher, but I'm looking down in the bucket a few inches. It's still foaming a little and smells really good. I will report on a taste test tomorrow when I rack it.

George, maybe you can talk Nino into putting cameras in these pails in the future....for those of us that would like to see pictures!
smiley36.gif

I racked the Amarone to secondary today and snuck a test. It is very tasty, but will improve with the addition of the oak today. I added 3 ounces of medium toast Bulgarian Oak and will leave in for about 4 weeks. It is a medium bodied, medium colored wine. I got a little less than 5 gallons when I racked it.

I racked this morning and my reading was 1.010. It looks, smells, and tastes great! I added 4 oz. of medium French chips I bought yesterday. It's still foaming away! I knew

I had more that five gallons so racked into a 6 to allow room for the oak chips and stirring and foam. I will rack into a 5 in the next couple of days.

Dang nabbit, you guys/gals have got me slobbering on my keyboard again !!!

appleman, are drinking Bulgarian buttermilk while typing too!

"I added 3 ounces of medium toast Bulgarian Oak"
Edited by: wade

Must be something in "Bulgarian Buttermilk" that we are missing Wade.......

I'm going to the store and get me some..................

Back