Ideal fermentation temp?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachi44089

Reaction score
I finally built my heater system for my primary. We keep our house pretty cool year round. About 65-67. I was wondering if there is an "ideal" temp or temp range that is best for fermentation. Thanks

75* is a good overall temp

Yes, 75F is a great temperature. Some whites do better below 65F, but even with the right yeast, it is sometimes hard for a home wine maker to control the fermentation and keep it going at that low a temperature.

Some commercial cabs are done above 90F, but that's not for the home wine maker, either.

So if you want a range, 60F to 90F is good, with 75F a nice median.

I still have more to do for this one but if you go to the Tutorial Section on the Home page and select "How To Select A Yeast" there are several (not all) yeasts and their optimum fermenting range and alcohol tolerations.

This may help just remember different yeast are best at different temps. The average is probably 65-75 degrees

Cool, very handy info, thanks..I have a batch of skeeter pee I started four days ago using a starter and Montrachet yeast, it was getting nowhere with the must "and house" at 66 degrees. Now heated to 74 its fizzing like Alka-seltzer!

Keep that skeeter pee stirred well. Introduce lots of air and degass at the same time giving the yeast a breather from all the CO2

I have a s.p. nearing final ferm. in a few days.

Latest posts

Back